Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
vw owner ;)
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing this on a gen3 camry this weekend. Can anyone tell me which socket sizes I'll need? I may just pick up a large half inch drive socket set and be done with it.. but if anyone knows of any special tools I might need it'd be much appreciated. (other than the spring compressors... I'm renting those from autozone).

I'll be getting a breaker bar/pipe extension for my ratchet.

Also, would it be a good idea for me to buy and use replacement nuts/bolts? is loctite necessary?

Thanks

·
Boondock Saint
280 Posts
Let's see here, I did my struts a couple of years ago so I hope that my memory hasn't failed me. The strut tower nuts are 14mm. The strut to steering knuckle bolts are 22mm. The rear strut to axle carrier bolts are 19mm. And the rear strut tower nuts are 14mm as well. In the back you'll have to disconnect the rear brake lines cause they run though a bracket on the side of the strut. This is how it was on my gen2 so I'm pretty sure its the same on the gen3. You won't be needing any special tools other than patience and the willingness to get fackin dirty. Good luck!

·
vw owner ;)
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot! that's certainly really helpful. any idea as to how much time I should budget for this?

·
Boondock Saint
280 Posts
When i replaced the struts myself a few years ago it took me about 4 hrs. Though if you've done it before and if you have an extra pair of hands you can prolly finish in 2.5 hrs.

·
vw owner ;)
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
=) I've got an extra pair of hands, but neither of us has done it before. I'll budget 4-5 hrs =) thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts