Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
AlbertsGen2
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should I get a KYB struts for $78 or MONROE FOR $48 with lifetime warranty...need some input..

Please help!!

Thanks!

·
Boondock Saint
280 Posts
Hey bro definitely get the KYB struts. I've got KYB GR-2's on my 89 Gen 2 and they are pretty badass. The ride is firm though comfortable. I've also got intrax springs which firm up the ride a bit more as well.

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
if ur going to do it yourself, its kinda of a pain since you have to take off the caliper. whrs toyotafest?

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
wed3k said:
if ur going to do it yourself, its kinda of a pain since you have to take off the caliper.
Not if you use a hacksaw blade and cut a slit into the brake line mount on the strut.

Then you can bend the mount and remove the brake line. No need to remove the caliper.

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
88 LE said:
Not if you use a hacksaw blade and cut a slit into the brake line mount on the strut.

Then you can bend the mount and remove the brake line. No need to remove the caliper.
wait, could u explain furthur into detail. The problem i had was taking out one of the bolts that attach the strut to control arm. so the caliper was in the way, so cutting the brake line mount would work?
thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Definately get the GR-2s. I have them on my 91, and they are great. You get what you pay for. Plus, they use synthetic oil. I've heard nothing my positive things about them from other gen2 owners as well.

The Monroe lifetime warranty seems like a load of crap. I don't believe in lifetime warranties on things that are supposed to wear out eventually. That's like a lifetime warranty on tires.

- John

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
wed3k said:
The problem i had was taking out one of the bolts that attach the strut to control arm.
The strut attaches to a steering knuckle / spindle (2 big ass bolts and nuts).

Its not attached to the control arm.

so the caliper was in the way, so cutting the brake line mount would work?
The caliper is not in the way, so I don't know why you think you need to unbolt it.

Theres just 2 big ass bolts + nuts (lower part of strut), 3 nuts on the top of the strut tower, and the brake line that goes through a mount on the strut.

You can either unbolt the brake line or cut a slit in the mount like I mentioned above.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,290 Posts
If you do your struts with the GR-2s, get all 4 at the same time. Its enough different that you want to balance out the handling front to rear by making them all the same. Its more expensive, but its a lot safer.

-Charlie

·
AlbertsGen2
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
definitely going for GR-2!

I'll take everbody's advise :thumbup:

Now,my mechanic told me I should also replace the top strut( the rubber on top of the struts?) and the bushing in the bottom of the strut...
When I get GR-2 is that the whole assembly or just bare struts?

Thanks!

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Re: definitely going for GR-2!

albertcua said:
Now,my mechanic told me I should also replace the top strut( the rubber on top of the struts?) and the bushing in the bottom of the strut...
The rubber on top of the struts is the strut mount.

And the bushing on the bottom is a piece of rubber that goes between the bottom of the spring and strut.

When I get GR-2 is that the whole assembly or just bare struts?
Just the struts. You'll have to swap the other parts (spring, strut mount, etc..) over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts