Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what usually goes bad on the front suspension on a 98. When im driving and i hit the slightest bump i hear a rattling noise coming from the front end of the car.what do i look for? is there anything that usually does this? any help with be helpful thanks.

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you happen to have a picture of what that is im sorry im not too familiar with suspension

·
Registered
1997 Toyota Camry LE
16 Posts
I have a 97 Camry and my front end made noises also. Ton's of members directed me towards the strut mounts. That seemed to do the trick for me. I replaced mine and I am not getting the same rattling sound. Apparently this was a major problem with the gen 4 camrys as several owners seem to have the same problem, even after they've tried replacing the struts. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
for strut mounts do you have to disassemble the whole strut and spring.

also i was looking threw the chilton manual and no where in here does it talk about the strut mount. is there a different name for it?

·
Registered
1997 Toyota Camry LE
16 Posts
Yes you do have to compress the spring to get the strut mount off. In the Chilton and Haynes manuals, they call it the suspension support.

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay thank you :). while doing this is there anything else that should be replaced?

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Consider the Monroe Quick Struts. They are a 1-piece assembly of the strut, spring, strut mounts and all the rubber insulation pieces. No need to compress and remove the spring. Just unbolt and remove the strut assembly and bolt these in. They are a bit more money, but then everything is now new.

Mike

·
イリジウム
13,823 Posts
Ditto on the strut mounts. There were TSBs out for Gen 4/5. If you caught them early they were fixed free.

The QuickStrut would be a good choice. You'll get new parts, particularly the mount, all rubber parts, not to mention spring and strut. The reason I went with Gabriel Ultra is that the Quick Strut came with the old SensaTrac, with a grooved piston rod instead of more advanced inertia sensitive valving. But Monroe is phasing out SensaTracs with the highly reviewed Reflex.

·
イリジウム
13,823 Posts

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i like the whole quick strut but if i did change struts and springs i would want a drop and with them you dont get it =/

·
Registered
2006 TOYOTA AVALON XLS
546 Posts
Consider the Monroe Quick Struts. They are a 1-piece assembly of the strut, spring, strut mounts and all the rubber insulation pieces. No need to compress and remove the spring. Just unbolt and remove the strut assembly and bolt these in. They are a bit more money, but then everything is now new.

Mike

Yup! Good stuff! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1991 celica gt
419 Posts
could be a broken exaust component (camrys are notorious for flex pipe failure) could be a hanger sway bar bushings engine mounts or even a rotted subframe (they sell fast at the junk yard i go to) ect ect

1 - 15 of 15 Posts