Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What all is involved in changing out my front wheel bearing and seals? I have arbor press and hand tools but no ball joint tool.parts are ordered but from what i searched on this repair,not much ever happens to the front bearings..thanks
OH YEA,ITS A 98 TACOMA 4X4 EXT CAB 202,455 miles..its been a good truck so im keeping it forever,i think it will last at least that long.....IM NEW HERE

·
Registered
04.5 VW Jetta GLi
497 Posts
I just went through all this with my '99. I took both knuckles off and carried them to an alignment shop to change the upper ball joints. They charged me $25 to do both. Not bad, but all they used was a large C-clamp and some impact sockets to 'press' the old ones out and 'press' the new ones in. I had to replace the driver's side knuckle, long story, with one from the junk yard. It needed a new bearing so I carried it to my local NAPA shop. The bearing was around $110 and to press out the old and in the new was around $30. Not bad, I thought. So I put it all back together and come to find out, the newb 'machinist' pressed the bearing in too far. I couldn't get the full torque on the axle nut with out binding the dust cover against the seals. So I backed it off to 40 ft/lb and drove the axles back some with a brass hammer. I haven't driven it more than a few miles but I have some metal shavings on the LCA. I contacted NAPA and they said they'd fix the bearing issue if I show them some specs. I'm on my own for the seals and any other damage since, "You should've brought it back as soon as you discovered the problem".

New axles from the parts house (O'Reillys and Advance) will run about $60 apiece. Just throwing that in there since you'll have it all torn down.

Good luck.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
FYI!! OEM MSRP IS $71.33 my price is $49.93 each. I sell to TN members for 30% off MSRP plus I only charge actual shipping plus $1.00 - $2.00 for materials, etc.

Just wanted to throw that out there. But whether you buy from me or not, you can always ask me questions and I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know, I'll tell you and then do my best to find out.

·
Registered
04.5 VW Jetta GLi
497 Posts
$49.93 for...bearings? Also, can you come up with specs for the depth the bearings need to be pressed to? I've been too POed about the situation to google for and potentially read for hours looking for an answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You for the offer on parts,, but i just received my bearing and seals today from Mechanicsville Toyota from Va.
I see you guys on sportsouth almost everynight watching the Braves.Man they are hot this year.
I need a factory service manual. there are some on ebay. i have a vol.1 for a 1992 and vol.2 for a 1991 from our older trucks if anyone needs them.the haynes one arent much help when it has to be exact factory spec. Well thanks again

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
are you sure its in too far and not far enough? The bearing is designed to go all the way into the knuckle, you cannot press it in to far.

$49.93 for...bearings? Also, can you come up with specs for the depth the bearings need to be pressed to? I've been too POed about the situation to google for and potentially read for hours looking for an answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Holemaker we need a source for some factory specs. i want a factory service manual. i have most everything else,lathe,mill arbor press.just being a Toyota they are precison built and if we dont set them back up correctly we will ruin what we start. Not an old ford...ha oh yea,, have the factory manuals on the way for a 1998 TRD.volumes 1&2

·
Registered
04.5 VW Jetta GLi
497 Posts
are you sure its in too far and not far enough? The bearing is designed to go all the way into the knuckle, you cannot press it in to far.
That's about right then. They probably put in a bearing that wasn't right width wise then. Are different year models different? The hub is in it, and the bearing is in. I was contemplating adding a washer to space it back some. Is there a difference between the ABS and no ABS ones?

I shot you an email about some price quotes?

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Not on the bearing, but on the knuckle there is, but I don't think it would have anything to do with the bearing. But I prompted me to think because you said you got a used knuckle. Wonder if there is something to that.

I shot you an email back with a couple of questions and I'll get the quote to you as soon as I get that.

·
Registered
04.5 VW Jetta GLi
497 Posts
It was an ABS knuckle, but there was no difference aside from the sensor and ring. My non-ABS knuckle had the same hole for the wire, just not drilled out for it.

Edit: After some more thought, the shop that installed the bearings, used the ABS hub. Not the one from my non-ABS knuckle. The ABS one had a speed sensor ring in it. Is there a difference in the two hubs? I'll look into it in a minute.

Edit #2: Found this scrolling through a Fabtech 6" kit install.

After the hub has been pressed in, the rear retaining ring it tapped back into place. Because this truck was a non-ABS rig, a blank ring was used. With an ABS rig, the only difference is that this blank ring would have been a slotted tone ring.

My shop didn't do this.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
I didn't think so. I thought that could be ruled out, but one never knows when something doesn't line up right. You eliminate the obvious and go from there.

I sent you a quote to your email.

·
Registered
04.5 VW Jetta GLi
497 Posts
I tore it all down this morning, both sides. The newly installed bearing is shot already. Less than 60 miles...and it's shot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holemaker,,im going to turn a disk 92mm to press mine back in with so it will locate on the OD of the bearing and not push on the inner race when i press it in. it will be about an inch thick and i will releive it in the center so it wont touch the inner race.
let me know how yours turns out,because i hate you have to buy those bearings again.that parts man from newnan is the best offer. if i buy anything else i will get it from him. NAPA wants 126.00 each for them here. goodluck

·
Registered
04.5 VW Jetta GLi
497 Posts
I finally figured out the error in my bearing issue. I have a non-ABS truck and I broke the little flimsy piece at the top where the upper ball joint goes. Alright. So I found one at a junk yard for $80, toyota wanted $440. The junk yard one was ABS capable. Long story short, the ABS one has a speed sensor ring and the non-ABS has a small spacer to take its place. The machine shop guy didn't install this speed sensor ring into the newly rebuilt knuckle, and I asked about it. He said I didn't need it and I took his word, as it was an automotive machine shop. Yesterday I found some exploded diagrams online and I called my local dealer asking about all the parts I'd need to totally rebuild a knuckle from scratch. Had him checking the parts numbers for ABS and non-ABS. Only difference is this spacer and speed sensor ring. Either of which were left out of mine. I took the axle nut socket and drove the hub out far enough to remove the first spacer and then installed both spacers. I don't have a press at my house, I was POed at this shop, so I used the CV axle as a press and tightened it all up until it butted up. Then I backed off of the nut and retorqued to 174 ft/lbs.

Whew, that's a mouthful. I put all this together and tore it all back down, just to do it again a grand total of 3 unnecessary times due to my ignorance of the install and the shop personnel not knowing either. I think it was here that I found the PDF files on it: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/ I looked at so many sites that I can't remember.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts