Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.....went to get the truck inspected yesterday thinking I'd breeze through but wound up failing for a bad front right wheel bearing. The mechanic had me come out to feel the amount of play in the wheel and it was pretty scary!! The wheel had a good two inches of movement back and forth. I can't beleive I never noticed it while driving. I made an appointment for later in the week but the problem is that we are supposed to be heading out for a ski trip(4hrs each way) this afternoon into tomorrow and my wife is kind of nervous. I asked the mechanic what he thought and he said "you should be OK, just take it easy".......what do you guys think? Dumb question but what's the worst that can happen? Wheel falling off??? Thanks for the help.....

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Your truck, your life. But if was me, and it was that bad (or even bad enough to fail an inspection), you would not catch me taking any kind of trip very far from home, much less anything on the highway.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya.....it's mainly back roads(50-55mph). There is a stretch of highway though for about 25 miles.:headbang: Damn!!!

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,691 Posts
No question, I wouldn't take it on a trip. Not safe, wear out your tire, who knows what kind of ugly could result from that. Not to mention that growling would drive me nuts. Mine went out on my Tacoma at about 45K and my son has a bad one on his GMC ZR2, looks like I'll be doing a hub real soon.

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
If your not hearing it, its not bad. I wouldnt worry about it take it. Where did you go to have it inspected?

where are you skiing? I was just up to sunday river last weekend theres still a lot of snow.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
Two inches of play is ALLOT for a wheel bearing! That bearing isn't just bad, it shot!

Put it this way, if you lose the tire and swerve into the opposite lane, or into the ditch, you could potentially kill your significant other or the person in the opposite lane. Make arrangements for another vehicle weather it belongs to a family member or a rental. A rental shouldn't be more than a few bills. If you end up wounding/killing someone due to a problem you previously knew about, good luck in court.

·
Registered
2005 access 2wd
291 Posts
I completely agree with ForTech. Hope you haven't left in it.

·
Buck Up or Doe Out (TM)
2005 Toyota Tacoma
1,539 Posts
well my wheel bearing was out for over 2 weeks and I drove on it every day 50 miles one way back and forth for work. So I drove about 1000 miles on it and that was over a Pass with snow at times and lots of turns. I would of got it in early if I could of but I couldnt miss work and the nearest Toyota dealer was an hour and a half the opposite direction of where I worked. So you should probably be ok, I was even doing 70-75MPH at times. I doubt your wheel will fall off but if you have kids and your wife with you I wouldnt take a chance. Having kids or other drivers then yourself can make it more dangerous and if its a 4hr trip it wouldnt be safe for the other drivers on the road as well if something happened and your wheel fell off. Dont do what I did and drive with it for a long period of time. NOT A GOOD IDEA! Mine should be fixed and ready today, also the transmission hopefully will be done! Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys! Wish I saw some of those before I left but we made it OK. Got an appointment this week. It's wierd....the tire moves a ton when it's on the lift but I can't feel it or hear it at all while driving. I did have some other bad luck though.......my battery wound up dying on the road just before the mountain!! Must've popped the clutch to get it started again a good 20-25 times within a couple of miles just to get it to a garage. Luckily, the only garage in town had a battery that was compatible............thought for sure it was the alternator. Anyway, Sugarloaf still has a ton of snow as well if anyone is interested. Reggae weekend in a couple of days too.......

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had to replace a wheel bearing at around 88K.
Had the shop do it, a bit expensive.

They found it during al alignment when I had my tires replaced.

Next time I'll probably do it myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts