Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Just trying to turbo
Camry
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 toyota camry V6, I have many plans for this car but one thing that has crossed my mind from time to time is how come you couldnt transform a front wheel drive car into a rear wheel drive car. Its basically the same concept but turned sideways, i was thinkin if there was someway to turn my 2VZ-FE back the other way and make some kind of motor mounts and make a drive shaft, and get some kind of differential for the rear end. I just want to know if anyone believes its possible, can it be done. If not tell me why you think so, i think that would be so cool to have a rear wheel drive 2vz. thanks for your comments

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
It's possible, if you have the $$$, as in MANY MANY Thousands. If you actually want to do it, get a Gen 2 AllTrac (AWD). But they only came with the 3SFE :(

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
they made a AWD 2vz i thinks my friend gf had one. but that would be the easiest way. also it wount be the 1st camry just the 1st gen 2 camry ;)

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
shitload of work and shitload of money. You cant jsut turn the engien around. You ahve clearance to worry about, then you ahve to figure out where you are going to fit the tranny. Then there is the problem of drive shafts. Youhave to come up with the rear differential, and the list goes on and on. If you can find an alltrac that would definitely be astart int he right direction but even then it is going to take a lot of work and money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why?

theman33b said:
I have a 91 toyota camry V6, I have many plans for this car but one thing that has crossed my mind from time to time is how come you couldnt transform a front wheel drive car into a rear wheel drive car. Its basically the same concept but turned sideways, i was thinkin if there was someway to turn my 2VZ-FE back the other way and make some kind of motor mounts and make a drive shaft, and get some kind of differential for the rear end. I just want to know if anyone believes its possible, can it be done. If not tell me why you think so, i think that would be so cool to have a rear wheel drive 2vz. thanks for your comments
Why spend all that time and money. Going down the road who would know ( or care). If it's just the challenge have at it.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Meh, its been done....

If you want a RWD 2VZ, get another car to put it in, that is already RWD config...converting any Camry to RWD would be a painstaking task and would require so much engineering, that you'd almsot end up with a completely different car anyways!!!

But, feel free to try!

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
^^^ what car is that. Are there any other picutres of it.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
It's an old Toyota Corona.
Found him off CarDomain a while back..

It used a rwd gearbox from a Hilux (whatever that is in US i dunno) (R154?)

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
not sure of the transmission model number but the hilux here is jsut caleed the toyota truck. Then they deecided to call it the Tacoma in 95.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Aren't Cresseda's RWD? It would be cheaper just to get that right? And its got a supra engine in it!

·
Just trying to turbo
Camry
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea but i want to use the 2vz i wanna see what kind of power can come out of it. thanks for all ur input guys and jetspeed thanks for that pic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No v6 AT's

> chronoti
> Location: Land O' Old People
> they made a AWD 2vz i thinks

Toyota Did Not make a v6 awd Camry AT. The transfer case does not fit with the V6 block.
(the Highlander and RX. Siennas have a new transfer case for their v6s)

> my friend gf had one.

Doubtful.
Most people read their owners manual and it says "v6" and "All_Trac"
and they Assume they have both. :-( I have talked to an EBAY
owner that must have thought that. He never sent me the requested engine pic or
arear pic with the rear subframe in view, or All-Trac badge. I would've bought it in a minute.
(Prove me wrong though I'd Love to see one :)

> but that would be the easiest way.

There is a All-Trac Celica (Australian GT4 -ST185 ) that was converted to RWD w Twin turbo & v8. Those crazy Aussies. :)

http://www.turbocelica.com/videos/gt8inaction.wmv

Anything can be done with $$$.

Regards;
-------------------------
Sorry to interrupt, back to lurking.

·
Art In Motion
95 2Door Camry
310 Posts
dude...if your wanting a RWD car so bad, I know would be cool and pretty rare and all that stuff but why spend like 20,000$ (thats about what your probally looking at for all the labor/parts to do it. You would need to fabricate the whole underside of the car, build a compete rear end and fabricate the entire engine bay for the engine to fit properly with engine mounts....I mean seriously, take that same 20K find yourself a nice late 80's supra or even a 240SX for 3000$ and invest your money in that. If you actually had 20K to invest on a 240sx or supra...that would be one bad MOTHA...SHUT YO MOUF!

·
Registered
2008 Corolla
114 Posts
You could always buy a Toyota Starlet! They're pretty fun to screw around with!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts