Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Clear tint.
Llumar makes three different "clear" tint films for autos, but none of them are actually clear (VLT is less than 100%).

AIR Series (Clear Ceramic Window Film) Clear film that reduces heat and harmful UV rays
  • AIR 80 BL SR HPR (Clear) 77% VLT
  • AIR 90 CL SR HPR (Clear) 84% VLT
UV Protection (Clear Window Film) Clear film that reduces harmful UV rays only (no heat rejection)
  • AU 85 UV SR HPR (Clear) 87% VLT

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,616 Posts
I've never given any thought to windshield tint as I had the idea of it being illegal (just from being a kid and hearing such as I grew into driving age). If I can tint the windshield legally to block some UV and/or heat I am there! When you live above 7,000 feet in a state where sun shines 300 some odd days of the year UV is a real bitch. There is a Llumar shop in my town, I am going to check them out.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I've never given any thought to windshield tint as I had the idea of it being illegal (just from being a kid and hearing such as I grew into driving age). If I can tint the windshield legally to block some UV and/or heat I am there! When you live above 7,000 feet in a state where sun shines 300 some odd days of the year UV is a real bitch. There is a Llumar shop in my town, I am going to check them out.
You cannot tint a windshield legally (below the top 5-6" inches), unless you have a doctor's letter authorizing it. However, if you put a 50% or less tint on your front side windows, then the police will not notice a windshield tint that has 80% VLT or higher. 3M also makes similar products suitable for windshields (in fact, I think they were the first to come out with one).

·
Registered
2018 Highlander XLE
221 Posts
You cannot tint a windshield legally (below the top 5-6" inches), unless you have a doctor's letter authorizing it. However, if you put a 50% or less tint on your front side windows, then the police will not notice a windshield tint that has 80% VLT or higher. 3M also makes similar products suitable for windshields (in fact, I think they were the first to come out with one).

In Texas the law reads
“A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required.”

Also, around here reputable tint shops won’t apply film in a manner that doesn’t comply with the law. In the old days, you could find shops that would do whatever you wanted, but not anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
In Texas the law reads
“A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required.”

Also, around here reputable tint shops won’t apply film in a manner that doesn’t comply with the law. In the old days, you could find shops that would do whatever you wanted, but not anymore.
It is tricky to define "clear" since none of the films are actually clear. Even un-tinted class panes (including home window or picture framing glass) are not close to being clear (100% VLT). Previously I posted the specs on three LLumar "clear" films, two of which had some heat rejection plus UV protection, and one that had UV protection only. The UV only was a 87% VLT, which is not actually clear.

So I don't know what that law actually means. But as I said previously, no police officer is going to be able to detect a tint film with a VLT of 80% or above, especially if the side windows have the same film (or darker). And maybe your state considers 80% VLT to be clear.

·
Registered
2018 Highlander XLE
221 Posts
It is tricky to define "clear" since none of the films are actually clear. Even un-tinted class panes (including home window or picture framing glass) are not close to being clear (100% VLT). Previously I posted the specs on three LLumar "clear" films, two of which had some heat rejection plus UV protection, and one that had UV protection only. The UV only was a 87% VLT, which is not actually clear.

So I don't know what that law actually means. But as I said previously, no police officer is going to be able to detect a tint film with a VLT of 80% or above, especially if the side windows have the same film (or darker). And maybe your state considers 80% VLT to be clear.

I’d argue that windshields are likely not 100% clear.
The point I was trying to make, is that a reputable tint shop should know what’s legal or illegal in your state, and won’t install tint that they know to be illegal.

When I had my son’s 09 Civic re-tinted, they cut-out the tint around the break light in the rear window (the old tint they removed wasn’t like that). I asked about it, and they said “it’s the law”. It’s a newer law (within the last 5-10yrs) and cars tinted before that are grandfathered in, so I offered to pay them (cash) to re-tint that rear window without the cutout. They refused arguing that they could get in trouble if they did it.

They also argued that if I was in an accident, they could be held liable, if an argument was made that my break light couldn’t be seen do to the tint.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,782 Posts
My fronts are Suntek Carbon 18%. $80 installed

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't be so sure of that, man. Cash still talks louder than check or credit card.

Spot on,especially for a small 1-3 people business like window tinting places. Small businesses typically pay 20-25% on taxes,plus the pesky 2-3% in credit card fees. I have found that if you offer them 10-15% less than their credit card price, they will almost always accept it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I tint for a living at my job. We will do whatever the customer wants but they sign a waiver stating we warned them and they wanted it anyways. Ive put 20% on trucks windshields before. The only thing i will not do and that is my own personal thing is i will not tint a full windshield in 5%. But anything darker then marylands 35% we require they sign a waiver even if its side windows and back windows.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I’d argue that windshields are likely not 100% clear.
There is no glass that is close to being clear, unless it very expensive glass made for special purposes (which never applies to commercial, residential, or automotive windows).

What I was saying is that there is no window film that is clear either, despite what the manufacturer says in their advertising. I verified that by quoting the VLT numbers of "clear" Llumar film that I posted above. But I understand what you are saying and glad that Texas is now reasonable and allows high VLT film (over 80%) on Windshields.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pinnacle 30 on the four side windows (rear windows already had privacy glass as well as manual shades) + Airblue 80 on the front windshield, rear hatch, and rear quarter windows. 18 months in, still great.. really cuts down on heat and eye strain from bright sun.

Cons: glare from the NAV screen on the windshield at night. Could be annoying for some, but I do a decent amount of nighttime driving and got used to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! I got the front two windows tinted and went with the legal limit which is 32% and did it through Groupon. Additionally I has a 50% off coupon code and managed to do it for $24.

Looks awesome and at an AMAZING price!

·
Registered
2005 Sienna XLE Ltd.
208 Posts
If I can tint the windshield legally to block some UV and/or heat I am there! When you live above 7,000 feet in a state where sun shines 300 some odd days of the year UV is a real bitch.
I just got all my windows done, including the windshield, with ceramic and the heat reduction is amazing. My arm isn't burning anymore either.

If you're above 7,000 feet, would that be anywhere near Lake Arrowhead?

·
Registered
2005 Sienna XLE Ltd.
208 Posts
Anyone apply ceramic tint to their sunroof to reduce heat intrusion?
Every bit of glass where heat could come in, I had them apply ceramic tint to, and that absolutely means the moonroof too. Probably the two most important windows for heat reduction is the windshield and moonroof. I had them put 55% on all side and top windows and can now drive with the moonroof cover pulled back and not be blinded by the sun or inundated with heat from it either.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,616 Posts
I just got all my windows done, including the windshield, with ceramic and the heat reduction is amazing. My arm isn't burning anymore either.

If you're above 7,000 feet, would that be anywhere near Lake Arrowhead?
Going to have to look for a place that will tint the front, sounds interesting. Nowhere near Lake Arrowhead - whole different state.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts