Toyota Nation Forum banner

Front Window Tints

10K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  SFCamry 
#1 ·
Anyone did their front window tints? How much was paid and what %? Was it worth it?

#2 ·
Welcome to the site TDS.

Costs vary based on shops and the tint you use. I would match the back window tint to make it look even. I placed very dark tint on my Camry and regretted it - at night it was not possible to see anything through the driver and passenger window. This was very dangerous when pedestrians are crossing the street and you are turning, trying to see curbs and other things in the road, etc. Spent a lot of time rolling down the front windows when turning. 30 - 40% is probably a good place to be. I think I went 15%. Bad choice.

Call a bunch of shops and price compare. In my area I have seen costs differ by over $100. Caveat Emptor however - you tend to get what you pay for.

#4 ·
Don't go too dark on the front. Besides being illegal in some states, it make it hard to gesture to someone outside the car. To block out the IR heat from sun, darker doesn't mean better. 3M's ceramic coated tint actually works better when it's lighter tint. I installed tint on all side windows for security, not solar heat rejection. Tint film makes window breaking last more than 30 seconds, instead of 1 second.

#5 ·
Good points. A flip to that: in a local city near me where auto theft is massive (as is breaking into cars) dark tint windows makes it more likely a window will get smashed in to see if there is anything inside worth a snatch and grab. If the asshole can see inside and see there is nothing easy to grab then there is no reason to smash the window. More good reasons we agree on to avoid the dark tint in the front at least!

#6 ·
I assume you talking about the driver and passenger side window, and not the windshield.

Tinting the windshield is illegal in all states unless you can get authorization from a doctor (risk of skin cancer, or eye issues, etc). But there are some very light ceramic tint films that can be put on a windshield and not be noticed by the police (about 80 VLT) that do a good job of blocking all UV rays. But if your state requires stickers to be placed on the inside of the windshield for inspections, registration, etc, it is not a good idea.

As already mentioned, tint laws vary wildly by state, so look them up on the internet for your state. If you live in area with fairly intense sunlight, a ceramic 35 VLT or higher (lighter) on the driver and passenger window would be good, but in CA, NY, and some other states the darkest allowed is 70 VLT.

If you go with a dye or charcoal tint film, you are not blocking much UV or solar radiation, and just making your windows darker. Ceramic tint film is the best for blocking solar radiation.

#8 ·
I assume you talking about the driver and passenger side window, and not the windshield.

Tinting the windshield is illegal in all states unless you can get authorization from a doctor (risk of skin cancer, or eye issues, etc). But there are some very light ceramic tint films that can be put on a windshield and not be noticed by the police (about 80 VLT) that do a good job of blocking all UV rays. But if your state requires stickers to be placed on the inside of the windshield for inspections, registration, etc, it is not a good idea.

As already mentioned, tint laws vary wildly by state, so look them up on the internet for your state. If you live in area with fairly intense sunlight, a ceramic 35 VLT or higher (lighter) on the driver and passenger window would be good, but in CA, NY, and some other states the darkest allowed is 70 VLT.

If you go with a dye or charcoal tint film, you are not blocking much UV or solar radiation, and just making your windows darker. Ceramic tint film is the best for blocking solar radiation.

Non-ceramic tint blocks a good amount of heat. It's not as good as ceramic,sure, but it is definitely an option if you are on a budget or don't want to spend too much on ceramics.

#10 · (Edited)
Funny you should ask. I just returned from a highly rated tint company here in Texas to see what they would charge me to tint the front windows. I asked if it would be possible to match the tint with that of the back doors and windows already have and was told that it would not be legal in my area, but that they could put a lighter tint on the front for 100.00. I was also quoted for a ceramic tint as well, which would run about 200.00, but would provide better sun resistance.

#12 ·
Funny you should ask. I just returned from a highly rated tint company here in Texas to see what they would charge me to tint the front windows. I asked if it would be possible to match the tint the back doors and windows already have and was told that it would not be legal in my area, but that they could put a lighter tint on the front for 100.00. I was also quoted for a ceramic tint as well, which would run about 200.00, but would provide better sun resistance.
Texas allows a 25% VLT on the front side windows, which is plenty dark enough, even if it not quite as dark as the factory tints in the rear. Personally, I would not go below a 35% VLT on the front windows for safety reasons.

#18 ·
I put 3M Crystalline (their ceramic film) on all the glass (except the windshield and sunroof), at the recommendation of the tint shop. I was initially concerned about low light visibility out the rear due to tinting over the factory tint, but it hasn’t been an issue. It’s difficult to see in, but no problem seeing out even at night.
I paid around $550 out the door, for the 7 windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
I've never given any thought to windshield tint as I had the idea of it being illegal (just from being a kid and hearing such as I grew into driving age). If I can tint the windshield legally to block some UV and/or heat I am there! When you live above 7,000 feet in a state where sun shines 300 some odd days of the year UV is a real bitch. There is a Llumar shop in my town, I am going to check them out.

#23 ·
You cannot tint a windshield legally (below the top 5-6" inches), unless you have a doctor's letter authorizing it. However, if you put a 50% or less tint on your front side windows, then the police will not notice a windshield tint that has 80% VLT or higher. 3M also makes similar products suitable for windshields (in fact, I think they were the first to come out with one).

#30 ·
I tint for a living at my job. We will do whatever the customer wants but they sign a waiver stating we warned them and they wanted it anyways. Ive put 20% on trucks windshields before. The only thing i will not do and that is my own personal thing is i will not tint a full windshield in 5%. But anything darker then marylands 35% we require they sign a waiver even if its side windows and back windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stvotw
#32 ·
Pinnacle 30 on the four side windows (rear windows already had privacy glass as well as manual shades) + Airblue 80 on the front windshield, rear hatch, and rear quarter windows. 18 months in, still great.. really cuts down on heat and eye strain from bright sun.

Cons: glare from the NAV screen on the windshield at night. Could be annoying for some, but I do a decent amount of nighttime driving and got used to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.