Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Official TN Member from Ontario, Canada
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday evening in sub-zero weather, I got to my car and the windshield was all frosted on the inside (the outside was fine). I started the car and had to wait for this inside frost to clear which I thought was odd. Anyone else has experienced anything similar? Is this unusual? TIA.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In the right conditions it happens all the time . Run AC full blast and watch it go away. It’s a good idea to run your ac for a few minutes every week anyways, keeps things lubed ect so they always said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve noticed my moms Camry does this too, but it’s mainly just haze and not frost. Mine never does it. I don’t know why but I don’t think it’s normal.

If both cars are in the same location and hers is the only one that does that between the two, how is that normal?

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,296 Posts
Most likely there is or was moisture inside the cabin, that is why you got frost or haze on the windshield.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Most likely there is or was moisture inside the cabin, that is why you got frost or haze on the windshield.
Like people hopping out and sealing it up leaving a window cracked or not. It’s not a Camray curse rather just dew point and trapped moisture I guess. My cars always randomly got it and still do . No big deal try the AC like I said.
Someplace on YouTube land there’s a video instruction by this NASA guy was probably 17, full genius obviously. He puts on a brief but knowledgeable explanation about how the AC will clear the frosty windshield so fast. Find the video and enjoy .

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's just moisture inside the cabin.
Run AC as suggested as it will dry out the air.
And check your floor mats if they are soaked or full of water/snow/slush. Might be a good idea to clean and dry them inside.

·
Registered
550 Posts
By default - the camry automatically opens the vent to the outside air.

With the Carista, I can disable that function.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,296 Posts
True. When the engine is turned off, regardless if outside air mode is on or off, the vents open.

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE V6
47 Posts
Anytime you turn on your windshield defroster, it automatically cycles the air conditioning compressor. They do this for two reasons, the first reason is to remove moisture from the air inside the cabin to clear your windows faster, the second reason is to keep the compressor lubricated in the winter time since most people would never run or air conditioner in the winter. Back in the day, when they would turn on the AC in the spring, they would find that they seized the AC compressor from lack of use.

Also when you turn on the defroster it also opens up the air vent and does not allow you to re-circulate the air to bring in fresh air to help expel the moisture from the cabin

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the right conditions it happens all the time . Run AC full blast and watch it go away. It’s a good idea to run your ac for a few minutes every week anyways, keeps things lubed ect so they always said.
Interestingly, this is the first time this has happened this winter.

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The drive from home to the train station is less than 10 mins. Would using it for 10 mins and it being parked outdoors the entire day, be enough to cause the frosting? I'm really curious because it has not happened before with this car.

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's just moisture inside the cabin.
Run AC as suggested as it will dry out the air.
And check your floor mats if they are soaked or full of water/snow/slush. Might be a good idea to clean and dry them inside.
Thank you. Floor mats were/are dry. The car wasn't used for about 36 hours with no inside frosting. Used for 10 mins, parked all day, frosted as mentioned. I was just curious as to how that happened.

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Everyone, for the input. Good to know a trip to the dealer isn't necessary at this time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts