Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
the other, other white me
06 Speedway Blue TRD
105 Posts
The Scion brand (unlike the Toyota brand) has a cult following of "enthusiast" already built up in it (i.e. Scion tC enthusiast).
Uhhh, WHAT!
This is TOYOTA nation, I think you are posting on a forum of Toyota "enthusiasts".
Maybe I didn't understand what you are trying to say, to me it sounds like you are saying that there are no Toyota enthusiasts.
I know that you can't believe that, there are decades worth of Toyota enthusiasts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Uhhh, WHAT!
This is TOYOTA nation, I think you are posting on a forum of Toyota "enthusiasts".
Maybe I didn't understand what you are trying to say, to me it sounds like you are saying that there are no Toyota enthusiasts.
I know that you can't believe that, there are decades worth of Toyota enthusiasts.

When I say "enthusiasts" I speak specifically for the current "Tuner" scene. Not the word enthusiast in general. There is no current "Tuner" scene for Toyota as their current lineup does not cater to that scene. Nor does Toyota's line of vehicles have anything in it that is active in current most popular Motorsports there is today. Seeing as how this aspect of Scion is already popping, I can see why they would continue to adhere to that model.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I miss the Supra.....I got to drive a friend's '95 NA 5 speed Supra last night. And you know, even though it wasn't a turbo model, it was GREAT.

Mmmmmm tuner cars

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
I've been boosted on the tC platform and have raced it, going on 4+ years now. If you want to see more vids like 10, 11sec turbo tC's, or tC's passing up modified 600-700whp R35 GTR's on the track, all you have to do is ask. I have them archived.
You can boost and modify your tC's handling to any degree you want, but it isn't going to stand a chance against something that is also tuned to be inherently better - lighter, RWD, or AWD.

Any car can be fast, and even FWDs can handle reasonably well enough, but when you start your day as a Toyota Avensis, you can't do enough to fight the drawbacks of a FF.

The last generation Scion tC looks like a round pod like a Civic. The new one looks vastly improved.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can boost and modify your tC's handling to any degree you want, but it isn't going to stand a chance against something that is also tuned to be inherently better - lighter, RWD, or AWD.

Any car can be fast, and even FWDs can handle reasonably well enough, but when you start your day as a Toyota Avensis, you can't do enough to fight the drawbacks of a FF.

The last generation Scion tC looks like a round pod like a Civic. The new one looks vastly improved.

Tuned to be inherently better huh....

Pay attention to the Lap times

The Forged Performance R35 GTR tuned to 600-700whp trying to chase down Chris Rado's FWD tC.

Both of those vids shoot holes in your statement. Try visiting the race track more often, it might change your outlook on cars. At any given moment in time, a FWD could be faster than a RWD or AWD, and vice versa. It's up to you as an individual and what you do to your machine that makes a difference. If you maxed out everything on each drivetrain then AWD>RWD>FWD that's a no brainer. But not everyone you meet is going to have a maxed out vehicle because of whatever limitations that have financially, or skill wise in driving it.

I've beaten Plenty of "inherently better from the factory" cars to know better in thinking like you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I definitely have a blast at the track. Can't beat the thrill of the road course. Every other activity (drag, AutoX, drift) are all so short lived runs. We run 20min sessions each round. Such a blast.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Oh not me. I will leave it there just like I have on my tC for a very specific reason.

"When you see my tail lights, you will know without question that it was a Scion that just walked you".

LOL...So many haters, I leave mine there on purpose. Especially when Evo's, STI's, Honda boys talk crap, only to watch me pull away from them. They never expect a Scion to be quick. I love watching mouths drop open wondering how they just lost to a tC.
Thats how people are, always hating and not being open. I guess your car is a sleeper?

·
Registered
09 Camry
552 Posts
even more bad news, on the toyotanation front page, the article says the FR-S will have a 2.5 liter 4cyl option or 3.5 liter 6cyl option.....I'm assuming that's the 2ar and 2gr engines put in the current Camry's

turbocharged possibly only for IS models?!?!

·
Registered
103 Posts
even more bad news, on the toyotanation front page, the article says the FR-S will have a 2.5 liter 4cyl option or 3.5 liter 6cyl option.....I'm assuming that's the 2ar and 2gr engines put in the current Camry's

turbocharged possibly only for IS models?!?!

Bad news depending on who you talk to. For me, that would be FANTASTIC news.

I was hoping that they would not be using the Boxer motor out of the Subaru. It's not that reliable when pushed to the limits.

2ar + turbo @ 8lbs of boost = 320-330whp/300+wtq. If they put a 2ar in a RWD configuration....Give Me boost and I will be in heaven.

PS...as a side note, PTuning also agreed and hope they will put a Toyota 4banger in there as they felt the Boxer motors were not reliable on race day either.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I still don't think anyone knows what's going on with this car. First it was a joint venture between Toyota and Subaru, with a Subie engine, then it turned into a Scion, now they're gonna throw in Toyota engines, maybe boost it, and call it a Lexus?!?

This still doesn't help Toyota's plight. And if it were gonna be a $25,000 Scion, then how much is it gonna be as a Lexus? I'd rather take a 370z Nismo any day at that price.

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
If you maxed out everything on each drivetrain then AWD>RWD>FWD that's a no brainer. But not everyone you meet is going to have a maxed out vehicle because of whatever limitations that have financially, or skill wise in driving it.

I've beaten Plenty of "inherently better from the factory" cars to know better in thinking like you.
Well obviously, but my point was that you could get a FWD car to perform better than some AWD or RWD cars, but they are never going to be the best when the AWD or RWD cars bring it.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS
160 Posts
Well obviously, but my point was that you could get a FWD car to perform better than some AWD or RWD cars, but they are never going to be the best when the AWD or RWD cars bring it.
Thats why theirs no such thing as a FWD ferrari,lamborghini,aston martin, porsche and the list just goes on lol

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
^I didn't mean I'd get a nismo for $25k, but what I meant was that if Lexus got the FT-86, then the price would definitely be above $30k, prolly closer to $35k or so. And now we're in the 370z Nismo price range.

·
Registered
103 Posts

What's considered "bringing it"? 400, 500, 600whp...what? Cause I've seen a FWD wax an AWD 600-700whp R35 GTR. I wouldn't say it wasn't "bringing it". It just didn't have enough.

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
What's considered "bringing it"? 400, 500, 600whp...what? Cause I've seen a FWD wax an AWD 600-700whp R35 GTR. I wouldn't say it wasn't "bringing it". It just didn't have enough.
Enough what? Put the same driver in an R35 and no FWD vehicle in the world could come close.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.