Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How exactly does the car calculate mileage and Range? I ask because when I fill up it says I have 380 odd miles of Range but, with my straight gas Murano I got over 440 on a fillup. The HLH tank is only 2 gallons smaller. Combined with the electric I'd expect much greater range than that on a fill up. Thanks!

Roger

·
Registered
177 Posts
Never double checked the range on our 2017 HiHy but track my own mpg, and we consistently get better than the dash calculation which typically shows 25.x. We get closer to 30. That would be close to 480 with a 16-gal tank, which is what we have, I think, and after every fillup reset our dash tells us a we have a range of miles in the high 300s,so I’d say the HiHy definitely figures conservatively on the range and mpg display.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Never double checked the range on our 2017 HiHy but track my own mpg, and we consistently get better than the dash calculation which typically shows 25.x. We get closer to 30. That would be close to 480 with a 16-gal tank, which is what we have, I think, and after every fillup reset our dash tells us a we have a range of miles in the high 300s,so I’d say the HiHy definitely figures conservatively on the range and mpg display.
Correction, the following is according to Edmonds.com: “Fuel Tank Capacity: 17.2 gal. Range In Miles (cty/hwy): 498.8/464.4 mi.” But the vehicle calculator definitely underestimates.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When you fill up, reset your trip meter to zero (or just write down your mileage). Fill up the tank and drive. The next time you fill up the tank, take and number of gallons of gas it took to put into the tank and divide it into the number of miles you drove to get your MPG. This doesn't help you estimate it, of course, it only tells you what you are actually getting. Example: If you drove 350 miles and it took 14 gallons to fill it, you got 25MPG (350 divided by 14 = 25)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand mileage, that's after you've emptied the tank. I'm asking how it estimates Range - the distance the car will go on a tank of gas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correction, the following is according to Edmonds.com: “Fuel Tank Capacity: 17.2 gal. Range In Miles (cty/hwy): 498.8/464.4 mi.” But the vehicle calculator definitely underestimates.
I'm doing that on this tank but it's kind of disappointing performance, Not a show stopper, by any means, just sloppy engineering.

·
Registered
79 Posts
To calculate your expected range after a fill up I believe the onboard computer looks at the mpg you achieved during your last several tanks and estimates your range based on that information for the number of gallons in the tank after your fuel stop. If you have been driving mostly around town and getting 20 mpg the past several tanks, it will assume that driving pattern continues and estimate your range using 20 mpg as your predicted consumption. If instead, you hit the highway for an extended road trip your mpg will probably increase to 25-27 mpg (gas engine, not HiHy) and your range will be greater. At your next fill up the computer will take into account the greater range you achieved during your road trip and estimate a longer range for that tank. Of course, if you then go back to around town driving you will not realize the estimated range on that tank of gas. There are so many variables such as temperature, amount of ethanol in your gas, headwinds or tailwinds, elevation changes, etc that the best the computer can do is estimate on your past few tank conditions, not predict what will happen during the next 300-400 miles.

·
7,490 Posts
I understand mileage, that's after you've emptied the tank. I'm asking how it estimates Range - the distance the car will go on a tank of gas.
Your estimated range is influenced by your mpg, just like Hedge here said. Your tank range is not that bad, actually. We do not know what is your fillup. If you fill right after light come sup, you have at least 2-3 gallons left.
Calculated mpg is all you need to worry about.
We also do not know your normal trips pattern, what greatly influences mpg what equals range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts