Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled into gas station this morning and push the button to open the fuel door, and you guessed it....I hear the switch clicking, but the fuel door won't open. Out of gas, and can't get the fuel door to release. This is the 2018 Camry SE, with the electronic fuel door release. Any suggestions on how I can get the door open, as I must get gas in this car.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Get it to the dealer (on a platform). Make them pay for the transport.

EDIT: CALL TOYOTA ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE if you fave the extended warranty.

Alternatively, if you are handy and want to try:

Try to pry it open with a plastic lever while pushing the button (the same lever you would use for dash disassembly). Put a rag between the lever and the paint. DO NOT APPLY FORCE IF YOU FEEL RESISTANCE! You will certainly deform the body. You may also protect the paint with adhesive tape.

·
Registered
2018 Camry SE
9 Posts
Pulled into gas station this morning and push the button to open the fuel door, and you guessed it....I hear the switch clicking, but the fuel door won't open. Out of gas, and can't get the fuel door to release. This is the 2018 Camry SE, with the electronic fuel door release. Any suggestions on how I can get the door open, as I must get gas in this car.
See pic below. Once the panel is off, there is a pink D ring. Pull it and fuel lid opens.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts

I had this issue too. I had to have my fiancée press the button while I stood outside and tried to tell pull the door open. It wasn’t necessarily stuck, it was almost as if the electronic latch didn’t unlock enough to pop the door open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
756 Posts
I had this issue as well. The door would unlatch but, the issue was the spring that the door closes against. It was weak and not pushing the door open. I took part of a plastic straw and folded it. Couple times and then pressed it between the V shoe of the spring and it pops open good now everytime I press the button.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Camry XSE V6
95 Posts
I had this issue as well. The door would unlatch but, the issue was the spring that the door closes against. It was weak and not pushing the door open. I took part of a plastic straw and folded it. Couple times and then pressed it between the V shoe of the spring and it pops open good now everytime I press the button.

If your car is under warranty, I would have this fixed instead of putting a folded straw in its place.

·
Registered
756 Posts
If your car is under warranty, I would have this fixed instead of putting a folded straw in its place.
Yeah I hear what you're saying but, I'm not gong to wait for an appoint and then wait an entire day for them to replace a spring that will fail again because of the design of it. It's a butterfly spring. Sounds crazy to you but it's not. No one sees it and I won't get stuck not being able to fill up. To each it's own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to me as well, I'd push the button but the door wouldn't actually pop all the way open. When I tried to grab the edge of the door, it just shut all the way back. I took a plastic rewards card out of my wallet and stuck it in the door to create some tension and pressed the button and boom wide open - hasn't happened since. I wonder what makes them stick?

·
Registered
756 Posts
This happened to me as well, I'd push the button but the door wouldn't actually pop all the way open. When I tried to grab the edge of the door, it just shut all the way back. I took a plastic rewards card out of my wallet and stuck it in the door to create some tension and pressed the button and boom wide open - hasn't happened since. I wonder what makes them stick?
Its the spring that is suppose to push it open. It's weak. If you look at it when the door is open, you'll notice that it's just a "V" shape spring. The normally open tension is weak on them. It's not the best design even the fuel door stays closed more than open so it's constantly compressing the spring closed.

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE
109 Posts
We just had this happen today on our '19 XSE. I was going to wash the car and I always open the door to wash in that area. We tried the pull handle inside the trunk but even that wouldn't open it. So I decided to keep trying the button on the dash and have my wife find something to slide in the fuel door at the latch area. And she came up with the idea of a credit card!! Voila! It popped right open. So I got the old trusty WD 40 out and sprayed the latch assembly and all surrounding parts liberally. Then I closed it and hit the switch on the dash and it popped open. I tried a few more times and it opened every time. I will say though that I will have the dealer look at it during its first service.

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE
109 Posts
I just wanted to follow up on this post regarding the fuel door on our car. As I said, I sprayed the whole latch area (male and female ends) and it has popped open easily every time since. I do occasionally open it even when we don't need gas just to keep it loosened up. Often as I walk thru the garage, I will stop and mash the fuel door button and open it. I guess all of this has helped b/c it does exactly as it should now. I'm just saying.................................................

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE V6
47 Posts
The other day I was at Costco getting gas and I noticed as soon as I put the nozzle in the tank that the round splash guard on the nozzle was hitting the latch assembly. As soon as I saw it happen, this post immediately came to my mind. Had I not been paying attention, the splash guard would have been putting pressure on the latch assembly and probably throwing it out of alignment. So to the OP, thank you for posting this and making me aware of how something so small could cause such a headache down the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Me also. Mine will poop a little and suck back in when I let go of the button. It's not a spring issue I don't think. Although I do spread the spring a little and it doesn't happen for a while. Maybe the latch isn't fully disengaging but a strong spring powers through.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Me also. Mine will poop a little and suck back in when I let go of the button. It's not a spring issue I don't think. Although I do spread the spring a little and it doesn't happen for a while. Maybe the latch isn't fully disengaging but a strong spring powers through.
It's the spring. It's the only thing that pushes the door open. The solenoid just holds the door closed. When the bar retracts, spring tension takes over and pushes the door open.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honestly I think the solenoid bar is a little to long, just a smudge. Just the spring doesn't account for the sucking back in When the buttons released. But I very well could be wrong.

·
Registered
2018 Camry Hybrid XLE
8 Posts
This issue is also happening to me and my son. We both own the 2018 Camry. I took my vehicle to the dealer to check. Of course, they could not reproduce the issue so they did nothing! They acknowledged that multiple vehicles have reported this issue at their shop but refuse to help. I'm calling Toyota's customer service to report the issue. I should not have to fix my own car.

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE
109 Posts
@ramsayer, I agree with you about not having to fix your own car. I will say we had the same issue but after I sprayed some WD-40 on the male and female latches on the gas door, it has never done it again. One other thing I do is to occasionally open it when I am out in the garage with the car just to keep it loosened up. So far, so good. Ours first did this in early November 2018 but after the WD-40, it has worked perfectly every time. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts