Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Celica GT-S
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time has come where the fuel filler pipe on my 95 Corolla has finally given up on me and I have to replace it. I Got the part the other day from the Toyota dealership and all I have to do now is install it. Now I just wanna know if anyone has done this on their Corolla before and what kinds of things I should look out for and any tips anyone might have from past experence.

thanks

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
sorry to hear that, i have never heard of anyone having to replace the filler pipe, nor have i had to. Best of luck, maybe you can give us some pointers :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think it shoud be easy if you start removing from top end, remove the mud-guard cover on middle and remove the two hose clamps from the bottoms. I heard many times people (mechanic) damage the latch-switch holding gas-cap-metallic-door.

·
Registered
108 Posts
BY THE WAY i JUST WANNA KNOW

due to leak in fuel inlet pipe, IS MIL indicator, Check engine Light is ON?

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
A leak in the fuel tank/filler might cause the Check engine light to come on, I know it does in Audis and other top-make cars. The lack of vacuum in the tank might throw a trouble code...

As far as replacement goes, I had to do this on my 89 GTS and it was tricky work. The filler neck is bent over/around the rear suspension crossmember and so I had to loosen the suspension bolts from the frame to make enough room to remove the filler neck. The other option is to drop the tank out of the car. If you're replacing it soon, be careful with the rubber hose that connects the filler neck to the tank--in cold weather it gets brittle and you may break it:sosad:

Good luck on the job, and remember to spray the new neck with rust inhibitor when you're done so it never happens again!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
what the parts cost you? mine is just about gone any day now...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dealer Cost $150+
After-market $70+
Used $35+

There's A Quality Difference In Dealer & After-market, Dealear Fuel-inlet Pipe Material Is Higher In Guage, I Mean Little Thicker Than After Market.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Ah thanks thats not soo bad, good to know thanks alot

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
bonnie* said:
Dealer Cost $150+
After-market $70+
Used $35+

There's A Quality Difference In Dealer & After-market, Dealear Fuel-inlet Pipe Material Is Higher In Guage, I Mean Little Thicker Than After Market.
heh heh, or you could do like I did and take a FULL DAY to get the filler neck out of a scrap yard car (don't ask, the car was sitting in a deep mud puddle), and the yard owner will take pity on you and give it for FREE! :D :D

·
Registered
1993 Celica GT-S
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid about $175 CDN with Tax at the dealer the local Junk yard wanted $120 so i thought I would rather get a new one and pay the extra $50 for a brand new one rather then somthin thats prolly half rotted, but thanks for the diagrams and info I really appreciate it now all I gotta do is find the time to get it done and I'l try to take some pics when I do it.

Thanks again

Dan

·
Registered
108 Posts
I paid about $175 CDN with Tax at the dealer the local Junk yard wanted $120 so i thought I would rather get a new one and pay the extra $50 for a brand new one rather then somthin thats prolly half rotted,
YOU DID A GOOD JOB TO BUY A BRAND NEW ONE, OTHERWISE WITHIN A MONTH OR TWO YOU HAVE BUY IT AGAIN AND SPEND MONEY & LABOUR TIME ALL-OVER AGAIN.

·
Proud Camry/Tacoma owner
11 Posts
Have you replaced the filler pipe yet? I have the same problem with my fuel filler pipe, but I have a '96 Camry. I will post on the Camry forum, but thought you might have some pointers for me. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts