Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that the Corolla Fuel Filter should not be changed? How is this possible? Nobody recommends a change for it? What if at 50K? I am sure it will increase the performance and life of the car. No? Also, what about the transmission fluid. When do you guys change the fluid? What type do you guys use? Get back to me!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Fuel filter does need to be change but it not that often, because on most gas station fuel pump they have filter that filter the gas before it get into your tank. Most people change fuel filter when they are not getting the correct amount of fuel to the injectors or it part of major service maintenance schedule. (like spark plug)

As for the transmission, it about every 30k miles. what is recommended. but pple have gone to 50k,

whereas other pple i know never change it until 100k

·
Registered
23 Posts
the transmission fluid should be drained and filled every 30,000 miles...but some people w8 till more than that to change the transmission fluid (drain and fill)....

All I have to say is that, if you plan on keeping the car, then do it every 30k miles....if you don't care bout your car and don't really see yourself keeping the car for a long time then its your choice....but I just have to say that a well maintained car is easier to sell than an abused, not cared-for car...so its still cheap insurance both ways...

Personally, I would just do it every 30k miles because its really not expensive and it will definitely prolong the life of your transmission...I plan on keeping the car for a long time, just do it as a cheap insurance/maintenance...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you need to change the transmission fluid on a Corolla? What type of Transmission Fluid do you guys use? How many quarts? What tools? (Note that I have impact guns and sockets and all the good stuff but do I need anything weird like a syphon? (spelling?)) Easy to do yourself?

Another question, I orderd a 2003-2005 Corolla Chilton's and Haynes Manuals... Is the 2008 basically the same as the 2003-2005? Let me know gentleman! Thanks again.

·
A Sloppy Mechanic
2005 Corolla LE
896 Posts
well, it depends on whether you've got an auto or manual trans. you shouldn't need to use any air tools to drain the trans. but a good thing to do while you've got the fluid out of it would be to remove the pan and affix some magnets to the inside of the pan to collect any metal shavings, you could use some JB Weld or something to attach the magnet(s) just so long as you have the time to let the jb weld cure (15 hours minimum). doing that should help prolong the life of your trans by keeping metal particulate out from between the gears. also, if you've got an automatic, a lot of the fluid in the trans will be trapped in the torque converter and there's really no way to get ALL of the fluid out at once short of taking off the trans from the engine and draining the tq. converter, wouldn't recommend that though unless you have lots of time and experience.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
The fuel filter is integral to the fuel pump module on these cars -- there is no separate "filter" to replace as there was on cars in the past. All three of my vehicles, actually, have the fuel filter integrated into the fuel pump. That's just the way they do it these days. Fuel filter changes are normally not required.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What do you need to change the transmission fluid on a Corolla? What type of Transmission Fluid do you guys use? How many quarts? What tools? (Note that I have impact guns and sockets and all the good stuff but do I need anything weird like a syphon? (spelling?)) Easy to do yourself?

Another question, I orderd a 2003-2005 Corolla Chilton's and Haynes Manuals... Is the 2008 basically the same as the 2003-2005? Let me know gentleman! Thanks again.

The only stuff that you will need if you are doing the "drain and refill" are the following:

1. TOYOTA Type T-IV ATF/fluid - you can get this from a toyota dealership
2. Torque Wrench - so that you don't over tighten the drain bolt when you put it back on...
3. Wrench and socket socket set (just basic stuff)
4. Funnel (just make sure that the tip will fit the tranny dipstick tube so it woudn't get messy when putting new fluid in)

I believe that is it...

Anyway, as far as doing this, it is a no brainer...like the method name says "drain and fill"...its just a basic drain the transmission fluid and then just fill it back again...

of course you wont really get all the old oil out...but but that is why it is suggested that you do this again after a week or 2 so that you get most of the old oil out that was in the torque converter b4...

anymore questions just ask...:p

I'm doing this with my moms 05 corolla probably this weekend...

·
Registered
190 Posts
rp makes some good stuff... but for the price i don't think it is worth it on my corolla that isn't driven very hard... if i was autox the corolla then yes...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Instead of using the Toyota Fluid, what do you guys think about using the Royal Purple ATF?

I recommend that you just stick with the genuine Toyota T-IV just because this is one of the transmissions that are very picky with their fluids...it might hurt the tranny if you switch with that...I know for sure that honda and toyota have transmissions that are very pick with their fluids thus use only genuine fluid from the manufacturer.

And plus, it wouldn't be a good idea to put royal purple in your tranny right now anyway cuz you still have toyota T-IV fluid in your torque converter...

What I am trying to tell you is that everytime you do a "drain and fill", you are just replacing 1/3 of the transmission fluid. 2/3 of the transmission fluid is still in the torque converter. It is not a very good idea to mix different transmission fluids.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts