Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Camry LE 5S-FE Automatic Kentucky built
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried replacing my fuel filter, used PB blast for a few days and than used a 14mm flare wrench on the bottom fitting, it wouldn't budge and I ended up rounding it off a bit. I'm thinking of cutting it off and using a compression union to patch in some.new.steel line but what kind of inverted flare nut do I get? 5/16 tube but what about the threaded end?

Other option is to go to junkyard and tube cut a filter out and try and get the line off in pristine condition and patch that in. Would be nice to get new fitting though.

I was at Canadian Tire and couldn't find anything that would thread into the bottom of new filter, maybe I could find a barbed brass fitting in Home Depot that would thread into bottom of fuel filter and use fuel injector rubber hose with fuel injector screw compression fittings?

Please advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
M12x1.25. They can be kind of hard to find.

If you really don't want to do the whole line you are on the right track with cutting back to good pipe and adding a new end with a compression fitting.

·
Various Toyotas
4,806 Posts
One of my family members has a 1996 Camry that is originally from Wisconsin, so it's rusty. The rust has really been a problem for certain repairs. I had the same problem with the fuel filter fittings. Even with a flare nut wrench, I mangled the fitting and twisted the line. Cars in the junkyard here in my part of Texas are not rusty, so I cut off a new fitting with part of the line and pulled it from the junkyard donor car. The repair job can be found at the driver's wheel well and has been absoultely fine for almost six years. Here's a photo of what I did:

Here's a photo I found online of the ferrule components of the compression fitting, so it looks something like this:

At the junkyard, I used a tubing cutter to cut the line at the driver's wheel well area. Not sure where I bought the tool, but Harbor Freight has good photos and it looked similar to this one below:

Although I didn't do this, I had someone recommend to use epoxy compound and "paint" it all around the entire compression fitting after the repair as an additional way to make sure it's sealed. Maybe if you are in a rusty area, but I haven't had a problem with it without doing that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thanks. I think trying to cut the filter and fitting out of a junkyard car than removing the fitting on a bench vise to splice onto the existing fuel line fr tank will be the best approach.

·
Various Toyotas
4,806 Posts
Awesome, thanks. I think trying to cut the filter and fitting out of a junkyard car than removing the fitting on a bench vise to splice onto the existing fuel line fr tank will be the best approach.
If it's really seized or rusty, you might not even be able to remove/loosen the fitting on a bench vise anyway. You wouldn't be able to use a torch, as we often do for rusty fasteners, because the fuel filter will be saturated with gasoline. You might get lucky with just a rust penetrant (like PB Blaster). So, yeah, just cut off the line rearward of the junkyard donor filter and use a compression fitting.

I added additional photos to post #3, btw.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I can't get the old fitting off of the line that threads into the bottom of the fuel filter from a junkyard car I might try and find a brass fitting to thread onto the bottom of filter and try and run nylon lines or worst case scenario using the fuel injector braided rubber hose with fuel injector screw type clamps. Does anyone know if I need to flare the metal line for the rubber hose and clamp to grip to or is it ok to have the metal line prepped like a compression fitting?

·
Various Toyotas
4,806 Posts
Are you expecting every junkyard donor car fuel filter bottom fitting to be rusty in your location? Maybe you can find one that's not rusty? I'm not sure about what you suggested above about nylon lines? Not following what you mean. I could go to the junkyard here and cut off a fitting and line rearward of the filter and mail it to you, but I'm not sure how much you'd be paying for postage from US to Canada and if that is worth it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try and find a non rusty one but yes, I'm 110% expecting them all to be rust welded on. I'm fairly sure if I cut 3 or so off that I should be able to find a fitting I can salvage. If that doesn't work and you are willing to do that for me I would pay for your time and shipping. Much appreciated.

·
Various Toyotas
4,806 Posts
I will try and find a non rusty one but yes, I'm 110% expecting them all to be rust welded on. I'm fairly sure if I cut 3 or so off that I should be able to find a fitting I can salvage. If that doesn't work and you are willing to do that for me I would pay for your time and shipping. Much appreciated.
Hi, OK......let us know what happens. Shipping only, yard entrance fees, plus my gas getting there. I don't want to charge for labor as I just want to help people when I have time to do so.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your a good person, thanks and I will deff reach out and let you know. Again, much appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts