Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Not so noob anymore
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was recommended by a friend of mine to change the fuel filter on my car ('99 rolla, 235K km's), for preventative maint.

When I went by the dealer today, they told me they've never heard of the fuel filter being changed on this model. I was left a bit skeptical as they did not come across as being completely certain. (it just could have been the stupid look on their face)

I figure someone in the TN should be able to clear up this matter for me.

Thks.

·
King Dingaling
77 scottsdale 4X4
129 Posts
I agree, I dont have a set mileage when I change my fuel filter (like 30k or anything) but I do change it every so often just to make sure garbage stays out of my engine.

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
If you've got 220K then it's way past time that you changed that thing out. You'll probably regain some HP that you lost with a dirty fuel filter. You can thank us later...... :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Change it out for sure. The idea is that the filter won't clog so much the engine starves for fuel. If it get plugged enough, it won't run.
ALWAYS avoid a gas station for fill up when the tanker truck is there. As they pump into the underground tank, sediment from the bottom of the tank is stirred up into all the fuel. That's the crap that clogs a fuel filter. I can't imagine any mechanic saying they never need replacing. A few bucks every 50K miles or so is cheap insurance against a breakdown.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
i just did a tune up on a 2002 corolla w/1zzfe motor i changed the plugs air filter oil and oil filter...but i couldn't find the fuel filter.:eek: i'm not new at this and i've been working on cars most of my life. when i looked it the book it says to replace the filter you need to remove the pump to change the strainer. cause it does not have a filter.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
2wickedtoyz said:
i just did a tune up on a 2002 corolla w/1zzfe motor i changed the plugs air filter oil and oil filter...but i couldn't find the fuel filter.:eek: i'm not new at this and i've been working on cars most of my life. when i looked it the book it says to replace the filter you need to remove the pump to change the strainer. cause it does not have a filter.

It's right. When I was a service writer for goodyear I had corolla owners getting pissed because we didn't change their fuel filter. They didn't know they didn't have one to be changed:hammer:

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Phi said:
^ that's interesting. I never knew that. If I was a 1ZZ owner, I'd add one though.
I didn't know that izz's didn't have f/filters myself. I assumed all 97+ toyota's had em'

·
Not so noob anymore
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok - just checked the Haynes Manual...

"The fuel filter on 1998 and later models is integral with the fuel pump module in the fuel tank; there is no routine maintenaince interval for fuel filter replacement on these models."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts