Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ran out of gas and after refueling the car is running very sluggish, even misfires. Neighbor recommends fuel filter change? any ideas?

·
Registered
2009 RAV4 Sport AWD
160 Posts
When you run out of gas the fuel pump can over heat. Gas cools the fuel pump so it is possible to damage your fuel pump if you run out of gas. This is something you need to be careful not to repeat.

·
Registered
2009 RAV4 Sport AWD
160 Posts
I don't think the problem is the fuel filter. It is more likely the fuel pump. Rarely do you need to change the fuel filter unless you get contaminated gas, water in gas, or put wrong fuel like diesel. The Toyota fuel filter is a life time filter unlike many moons ago when it was common to change those inline fuel filter. Have a mechanic check the fuel pump out. You can order one made by Denso with filter for $81 at Rock Auto.

·
Registered
2009 RAV4 Sport AWD
160 Posts
Another thing hopefully you did not use old gas. If you used gas that was stored for over 3 months that was left in a gas container (not treated with fuel stabilizer) that would cause rough idling/misfires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is it under warranty. Take it to the dealer and tell them you don't know what's wrong with it.....unless of course you put old fuel in it like started above. If that's the case, I would fill with fresh fuel and add some gas treatment to the tank.

·
Registered
2012 Camry+1999 Rav4
797 Posts
My 99Rav4 has 130k and it's still the original fuel filter, my mechanic said no need to change it unless I drive in Mexico and use their gas. Also never let the tank go below 1/6, gas cools the electric pump as dl175 said earlier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts