Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Toyota T100 4WD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to inspect and clean the fuel filter on my '97 T-100 since it's never been cleaned or replaced to my knowledge.

I believe I found it under the drivers side but I can't get either side to budge with a wrench.

I even gave it a good dose of WD-40 but it still doesn't want to move and I'm afraid of breaking the lines.

Are there any tricks to getting it off?

How often does it need to be serviced? Should I even bother?

Thanks!

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
I would like to inspect and clean the fuel filter on my '97 T-100 since it's never been cleaned or replaced to my knowledge.

I believe I found it under the drivers side but I can't get either side to budge with a wrench.

I even gave it a good dose of WD-40 but it still doesn't want to move and I'm afraid of breaking the lines.

Are there any tricks to getting it off?

How often does it need to be serviced? Should I even bother?

Thanks!
Unless you have bad gas (no...not that kind!) or a break in the filler hose, yer fuel filter shouldn't need any replacement/servicing.

If you are intent on replacing it, you should be using a flare wrench on the line nuts instead of an open end or adjustable wrench. Using an open end or adjustable wrench will usually result in rounding the line nut. :( However, you can use an open ended or adjustable wrench on the filter nut fitting to help torque on the line nut. ;)

WD-40 really isn't a penetrant but PB BLaster or Kroil would be a better choice.

·
Registered
1998 Toyota T100 4WD
310 Posts
I'm not sure why your having such problems with it. I replaced mine about 7 months ago for the first time and I have a '95. I wouldn't worry about breaking the lines though. As long as your tugging on the nut then you shouldn't damage it. Unless you have a bunch of rust around it. . . which is unlikley because those parts are painted I think. Good luck though and let us know how it goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts