Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1992 Toyota Tercel DX and its a great car but the fuel gauge/engine temperature gauge now rises untill they are almost straight up(like field goal posts) , what do I need to do to fix this problem ? It happens no matter the amount of fuel in the car.
Thank you
Aaron

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
Was any repairs/work/mods done shortly before the gauges started this? I've heard of strange things happening right after new stereos were put in.

·
The Matrix has you......
128 Posts
sounds like a short. if youve taken the cluster out and back in, check to make sure a wire didnt get pinched.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exactly The Same Problem!

1992Tercel5Spd said:
I own a 1992 Toyota Tercel DX and its a great car but the fuel gauge/engine temperature gauge now rises untill they are almost straight up(like field goal posts) , what do I need to do to fix this problem ? It happens no matter the amount of fuel in the car.
Thank you
Aaron
Mine is a '94 Tercel, but I just had this happen to me the other day. They stay that way for the most part, although occasionally they will drop down to show accurate readings, but soon deflect back up to the "field goal" positions. I have had no work of any kind done on the car, I just noticed this happen after I stopped for gas one day. Again, nothing was touched in the car. Someone suggested that the guages might be routed through the onboard computer module, and that was causing the wonky guage behaviour??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nobody Else Has This Problem?

I have been unable to get any conclusive ideas on what exactly this problem is caused by, and why it affects 2 completely separate guages that do different things (Temp & Fuel) the exact same way. When one goes wonky - the other one does too. On occasion, they drop back and show normal settings.

·
Registered
219 Posts
all that means is you have less to look for, you know it's going to be an intersection between the two gauges..somewhere the gagues cross...check it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts