Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I just recently got my tacoma last week and it is about time I got gas just wonder what fuel grade should I get?

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
unless you're towing or racing, just use 87.

-Mike

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
I always ran 89 or better for past year. My truck ran rougher and would ping on 87, especially on the throttle.
However in the past month I tried 87 again. It sounded ok, went back to 89, and heard no difference. So I've been staying with 87 for now. Per my obsevations, Running the 89 or better made a huge improvement up to 10K. But after that , octance doesnt seem to make a difference. Not sure if it had something to do with break in... but heck its a little cheaper, I'll take it.
Best advise, run the lowest octance you can without the engine pinging...

·
Registered
984 Posts
For the extra buck or two extra that it would cost to fill up with 91, why not just use the best fuel and insure you won't cause any injector build up and no pinging. I swear who cares about a mear 1.50 difference to fill up. Not like 33.50 is going to break you but 32.00 won't.

·
Smell the Audiophiliacity
05 Tacoma
1,226 Posts
SinCityTaco said:
For the extra buck or two extra that it would cost to fill up with 91, why not just use the best fuel and insure you won't cause any injector build up and no pinging. I swear who cares about a mear 1.50 difference to fill up. Not like 33.50 is going to break you but 32.00 won't.
That $1.50 adds up. While you are paying 33.50 to fill up, and I'm only paying $32, Eventually I will have enough to fill up my entire tank with the extra money I saved...And when your a college student, it's worth it.

·
Registered
Base model 05' Taco
308 Posts
SinCityTaco said:
Sadly...yes it will break me!

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Accessdenied said:
Sadly...yes it will break me!

lol me2 :disappoin though the 4 banger does run allot better/stronger with a good quality 93 oct.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I run 87 for three tanks or so, then hit it with a good quality 93 with detergent additives to keep the injectors happy. The extra couple of bucks is then spread across 4 tanks.

Note that I can afford ANY type of gas I care to purchase, but why give the Taco 30 year old Scotch when it likes Night Train Express ripple just fine? :)

·
Spanky!
329 Posts
ok umm its not going to be 1.50 difference. so if thats true that means that 93 is .083 cents more than 89 if we were filling 18 gallons. whereever that gas is please tell me. it is usually .30 cents more which means u would be paying 5 dollars difference. alot more if it was 87. so yes it does add up

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
hyperlitewkbrdn said:
ok umm its not going to be 1.50 difference. so if thats true that means that 93 is .083 cents more than 89 if we were filling 18 gallons. whereever that gas is please tell me. it is usually .30 cents more which means u would be paying 5 dollars difference. alot more if it was 87. so yes it does add up
Ok umm, it's actually only ten cents more for 93 than for 89.

I ran 87 from the time I bought the truck until the time gas dropped back down below $2.00/gallon. Then, I swapped to 93. I will not go back. Ever. My truck accelerates much more smoothly, and it just plain feels stronger with the good stuff in it. It is quite noticable to me. Now, I'm addicted!:D

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
I like 89. And yes, it's an extra 1.70 every time I fill up. Usually fill 'er before the light goes on so around 17 gallons average. For an extra $75 dollars a year, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

12,000 miles a year at 16 mpg (low average) and 17 gallons per fill-up. 12,000/(16*17) = 44 fill-ups per year * extra 1.70 = $75

Since I was already halfway there. If gas stays at the price it is now for 89 which has been $2.25. I will spend $1,683.00 in 2006 on gas alone. :eek:

Kind of puts $75 dollars in perspective. :disappoin

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've only run 88 here. They sell 86 otherwise. After I get 5K or so on it I will probably try 86 and see what happens. It's a 4cyl so most of you won't care.:) I will be running premium towing a bug back from TX. I figure run the cheapest if it works but I've heard comments that the low octane is more likely to be contaminated. You are more likely to get a bad tank maybe. No facts just comments from another forum. My vote is run mid-grade for break-in at least. As I recall my manual specifies 87.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma
11 Posts
Engine is designed to run on 87. Gasoline is 'upward compatible', meaning you can run 87 and 93 octane without any implications. You'll get more power and depending on how you drive, better mileage.

One thing to remember, gasoline is not 'downward compatible'. High end cars such as my Audi S4 will run ONLY on 93 octane. Engine design calls for higher compression and could end up dieseling the 87 octane and ruining your engine. Each grade of gasoline will combust under a specific pressure under given condtions. The higher the octane, the more pressure is needed to ignite without a spark (dieseling). My Audi happens to have twin turbos (1st stage of air compression) and a 9.3:1 engine compression (2nd stage of air compression). In actuality the Audi is pressurizing compressed air and from start to finish has a overall air pressurization ratio well over 9.3. If I were to run 87 octane, the fuel may pressurize to ignition prior to the engine pistons reaching top dead center (TDC). This is EXTREMELY BAD as this would cause the piston to drive before completing the compression stroke.

Rule of thumb:
Use whatever grade you want if it calls for 87 octane.
Never use lower grade gasoline when it is called to run a premium grade.
Never use diesel in a gasoline engine (octane rating from 15-25) - Very Very bad for gasoline engines.

·
Go Bills!
Tacoma, 4DR, 2WD
291 Posts
Gas is Gas!

I've tried a couple of tanks of the better octane and noticed no real difference. I now routinely use only 87. Over the summer, I drove back to South Dakota, and they sell 85 octane in the mountain areas. My truck ran just fine on this also.

Once every few months, I'll add some higher octane to top off the tank -- a friend of mine told me that it would keep everything clean. But I can't tell any difference in the way the truck runs.

No Pings!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
SinCityTaco said:
Can you please direct me to any source that can verify your claim that octane has any effect on "injector build up"? The truck's computer can handle the pinging half of your argument.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts