Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this possible? How can fuel be introduced into the cooling system? I have a 1987 toy 4x4 pu with a 22r carb engne. It's leaking coolant around the tstat housing, underneath the intake, smokin white exhaust. I took the radiator cap off and it smelled like fuel in the water. Not sure where to begin on this one. Truck has approx 193k miles. Thanx for any help.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The white exhaust suggests a head gasket leak allowing coolant into the cylinder(s). How does the oil on the dipstick look? Water there will usually give a chocolate milkshake appearance.

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
I agree, most likely the head gasket. You may not notice it in the oil yet but if you wait for it, you might find it while your broke down on the side of the road! Believe me, I've been there.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Don't jump to conclusions.

Coolant does circulate thru the intake manifold on the 22R, and underneath is one of the places it could leak from.

A leak down test of the cooling system may help pin it down to that or a blown HG.

·
Registered
115 Posts
yep I agree. If you have a fuel odor in your radiator, you mosre than likely have a crack n your intake and the fuel is mixing with the coolant and visa versa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts