Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an owner of a 2001 Toyota Echo, 187000 original miles. This tip comes from Scotty Kilmer, 50 yr Mechanic on YouTube, that I'm passing along to everyone. Gumout Multi-System Tuneup Cleaner is awesome for cleaning fuel injectors, fuel system, piston head and exhaust valves. Eats carbon off surfaces to make your engine run smooth. Cost $8 at Home Depot Auto section in store. Pour in gas tank before fill up to mix with gas thoroughly. I swear by this stuff, and has made a wonderful difference in engine performance. Enjoy!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I havent tried that but whenever I buy a "new" used car I always add a can of seafoam to my tank before fill up for the first 3. I never have any problems, runs smooth plus my mpg goes up for duration! I'll have to try the gum out sometime

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Outstanding! Glad Seafoam worked for you! We Toyota folks got to stick together and keep on helping one another with tips and tricks which will keep our cars and trucks at best working order. I do recall using Seafoam once or twice before. For some strange reason, didn't seem to get the results that you got. But glad it worked for you. I have been noticing that some products work for one person, and other products work for others. Kind of like buying pair of shoes. Got to find what works best for you. And that is a GOOD thing, too! I'm not a PRO mechanic, but have been working on cars since 1976. And love gaining skills from learning from others as well as my own experience. Thank you for sharing that!
?(y)

·
Read Only
3,920 Posts
Outstanding! Glad Seafoam worked for you! We Toyota folks got to stick together and keep on helping one another with tips and tricks which will keep our cars and trucks at best working order. I do recall using Seafoam once or twice before. For some strange reason, didn't seem to get the results that you got. But glad it worked for you. I have been noticing that some products work for one person, and other products work for others. Kind of like buying pair of shoes. Got to find what works best for you. And that is a GOOD thing, too! I'm not a PRO mechanic, but have been working on cars since 1976. And love gaining skills from learning from others as well as my own experience. Thank you for sharing that!
?(y)
Anyone who uses a Top Tier gas brand (which has been certified to contain sufficient detergents to clean carbon deposits), and takes care of their engine with occasional use of a fuel injector cleaner (probably any brand will do, but I use Chevron Techron) would not notice which brand got better results, because the engine would always be free (pretty much) from carbon deposits or clogged injectors. Trying to figure out which fuel injector cleaner works best after an engine has been neglected for along time is not something I want to worry about.

The only exception are carbon deposits from a pure direct injection engine, because there is no flow of gas on the back of the intake valves (gas is injected directly into the cylinder and only air goes through the intake valves). But fuel injector cleaner will not help with that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes we do xD
And there is a channel on youtube I think you would really enjoy called "project farm" the guy does TONS of tests and they're very thorough!
  1. ALSO back to the sea foam, I put some in one of my high mileage Toyota's oil (250k+) like it says, and it cleaned it so well it started making blue smoke whenever I would start it up which sucks but at least whatever was so gummed from build up preventing it from seeping was now out of my engine

·
Registered
89 Posts
The only exception are carbon deposits from a pure direct injection engine, because there is no flow of gas on the back of the intake valves (gas is injected directly into the cylinder and only air goes through the intake valves). But fuel injector cleaner will not help with that.
Sea foam does have a throttle body can specifically for that!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone who uses a Top Tier gas brand (which has been certified to contain sufficient detergents to clean carbon deposits), and takes care of their engine with occasional use of a fuel injector cleaner (probably any brand will do, but I use Chevron Techron) would not notice which brand got better results, because the engine would always be free (pretty much) from carbon deposits or clogged injectors. Trying to figure out which fuel injector cleaner works best after an engine has been neglected for along time is not something I want to worry about.

Thank you for your excellent comment, Mark888. I agree. Top Tier gas is the best. I'm using Arco right now at $3.79 gal here in Poway, CA. The cost is lowest so I use Premium only. My Echo wont tolerate anything less. 50 yr Pro Mechanic Scotty Kilmer on YouTube suggested the Gumout Injector Cleaner because of its unique cleaning ability. It uses a chemical called "PEA" (polyetheramine), which has been tested to really remove carbon deposits. So together with the Arco brand Top Tier premium gas, it been a winning combination in my engine performance. You're awesome! Thanks for the feedback on this!

·
Read Only
3,920 Posts
Thank you for your excellent comment, Mark888. I agree. Top Tier gas is the best. I'm using Arco right now at $3.79 gal here in Poway, CA. The cost is lowest so I use Premium only. My Echo wont tolerate anything less. 50 yr Pro Mechanic Scotty Kilmer on YouTube suggested the Gumout Injector Cleaner because of its unique cleaning ability. It uses a chemical called "PEA" (polyetheramine), which has been tested to really remove carbon deposits. So together with the Arco brand Top Tier premium gas, it been a winning combination in my engine performance. You're awesome! Thanks for the feedback on this!
As i said, I recommend the occasional use of a fuel injector cleaner. They point is that I can't really tell which brand is better, because since I used Top Tier Gas and fuel injector cleaner (once a year or so), I have not had any problems.

BTW, there are many, many brands that are Top Tier Certified, not just major oil companies.

·
Read Only
3,920 Posts
Sea foam does have a throttle body can specifically for that!
How do you get the Seafoam stuff to flow onto the intake valves of a direct injection engine (assuming it is not one of the Toyota direct injection engines that cycles to regular fuel injection for cleaning purposes during idle, and doesn't need Seafoam)?

·
Registered
89 Posts
How do you get the Seafoam stuff to flow onto the intake valves of a direct injection engine (assuming it is not one of the Toyota direct injection engines that cycles to regular fuel injection for cleaning purposes during idle, and doesn't need Seafoam)?
Oh I'm sorry, direct injection is completely different, I meant for regular engines!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Any cleaner with PEA will clean well. It doesn't need drunkenmoronSnottyDilmer's clueless hack mechanic recommendation. Amsoil, Redline, RoyalPurple, Lubegard, Regane, BG, Techron, ..... are some others with a strong dose of PEA.

These days, you don't even need FI cleaners too often. Some brands overdose their premium fuel, like that Mobil/Exxon Synergy Supreme+ premium stuff, Chevron/Texaco with Techron, BP/Amoco Ultimate/Invigorate, Shell NitroVpower..... One tank of it is all you need and then go back to your no-name beer/cigarette/fuel stations. Some of these brands are beyond TopTier which is already beyond EPA joke requirements.

GDI engines can use any GDI/intake/IVD spray cleaners. You follow the directions on the can.

Carb/FI engines simply need a bottle of cleaner tossed in at the gas station before filling up.

Prevention is key. Start here:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Buy 2 cans Seafoam.

Do this when oil and preferably when spark plugs need to be changed.

Start car and disconnect the brake booster line. Have assistant keep car above idle, maybe 1.5k to 2k or so RPM. Pour seafoam slowly into brake booster line. Car will run like shit. Keep RPMs steady while you are pouring it in. When you get to about 1/2 way, do not have assistant keep RPMs up, and try to pour/suck up enough Seafoam so the car just dies. Hook everything back up. Do NOT start car, let it sit for about :30-:45 min. With the LAST 1/2 of that bottle, put about HALF of the remaining amount of Seafoam in the OIL crankcase (so around 1/4th of bottle's worth). Dump remainder in gas tank. Open other bottle of Seafoam and dump it all into gas tank. Do this when tank is 1/2 full or so for a nice concentrated cleaning.

Via brake booster, that will clean top of pistons and valves (and maybe rings and intake?)

Via oil will help break down sludge and varnish. Help clean out clogged screens (oil pump--oil pressure).

Via gas tank will stabilize gas so it will not go bad near as quick. Will also clean fuel injectors, fuel lines, (fuel system) and I think upper cylinder walls.

So you do all that (Brake Booster/Intake), Oil, and Gas. Start up the car. It will run very rough. And white smoke will billow out the tailpipe. (Tip. Do this right next to a neighbor you don't like).

Then, drive the car like you just stole it. Drive it hard for a few miles. All the stuff coming out of tailpipe is carbon that is getting cleaned out. Your car will run better, increased power, better MPG, and you get to piss off neighbors.

When you come back from your spirted drive, while the oil is still HOT--change the oil and filter. And change the spark plugs too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts