Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace an o-ring on a fuel injector, and replaced all 4 in the process. I lightly lubed them with clean motor oil and I re-installed them. I turned my car on and at first it didn't start (probably from having to re-pressurize the fuel system). Tried turning the engine a second time and it started up no problem. I let it run for a little, go out and looked at the engine while it was running and could see unburned gasoline around the injectors. I quickly turned off the car and was inspecting it and couldn't tell which injector had the leak. I absorbed off the fuel, turned the car on again, and there was no leak this time.

My question is, is it normal for injectors to leak at first startup after re-installing, and then not leak on subsequent engine starts?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Leak? not normally; however; do not us oil on fuel injector o-rings; use only gasoline; the oil will cause then to swell and could cause them to deteriorate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm pretty sure that since the o-rings are originally used in a known fuel contact situation that the engineers that designed them would have used gas resistant materials(neoprene).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts