Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody ever physically took out an injector and used some type of cleaner to clean it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Are you sure it's just one (if any) giving you the grief ?
Have you checked to listen for it working. You probably know this but you can use a long screw driver with the tip on the injector and the butt end on your ear. No ticking...no working. If not it could be the electrical connection as injectors are reliable parts until they get fouled up.
Then they should all come out while you are at it and have new seals and O rings.
Your best bet is to pull them and have them bench cleaned/tested at a shop that can do it correctly. Under $100 for 6.
Find a place like this. Often you can send by mail too.

http://www.witchhunter.com/

Do it yourself cleaning/soaking is generally a waste of time. Here is a DIY example for at home.....but you won't know if the spray pattern is consistant with all of them etc.

http://www.mikeponte.com/volvo/injectors.htm

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this isnt for toyota.. its for a 03 silverado.. it dies after put in R or D...
took it to the dealer and they told me it must be the injectors...

i bg products cleaner for the TB and for the gas tank bbk fuel thing

i was just thinking maybe theres something that can physically clean the injector

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i turn it on ... it idles fine but when i put it in R or D it dies

this all started totday.. first the battery was dead... so i replaced the batt with a new one...
everything was fine for 5 mins ( i took it around the block a few times ) then the same problem happened. it dies...

i took it in to CSK auto and they tested the charging system and there little thingy device said the battery was unstable
how can this be if the batt is new and just bought from CSK auto
i told them that i just got the batt from that store!

what else can it be???????????

·
Registered
184 Posts
Silverado, Camry, Impala does'nt matter. I'm no expert but I think you can rule out injector(s). Find a good independent service station ? If a new battery solved the problem temporarily then it's electrical....right ? Ask CSK for a battery swap.....double check ground connections etc...????????????
Perfect example of dealership BS huh ?

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
had the truck for 2 years and no work has been dont but an oil changes

i thought it might be the alternator or a short (grounding out or something)
but i dont know..
i'll check the power connections pos and neg..

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
theres no trouble code.. just the one light for the battery but is gone now cuz of the new battery..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Code(s) may still be in memory.

So glad I gave my fuel injector lecture ........regarding a battery !!!!

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
glad to say i used some seafoam thing and work great!

had a hard time first starting it
for some reason the TB has an electrical butterfly ( crappy i think )
but once it was running it solved the problem

i thought it maybe have been the alt but i did a load test but everything was fine
it still seems weird that that damn thing from CSK auto said unstable battery when i just bought the batt from there...

anyway everything seems fine for the moment

OH it did throw a code but i dont have a code reader
the light went away anyhow

·
Registered
93 BMW 525i
395 Posts
I think the code will tell you the majority of the information for your problem.
As far as the bad injector line from the dealer, it was an uninformed shot in the dark. Unprofessional and lazy. Total garbage.

Stalling while going into drive is usual an electrical problem. Since you said that the seafoam helped, it may have been that the throttle plate was sticking (common on the toyota motors as well).

I am confused though - you said that the battery light came on. The battery light is not an indication of battery charge, it comes on when the charging system is not functioning properly.

If the problem goes away, then great. I, unfortunately, do not think you solved your problem, because I think that your problem is a poor voltage regulator. A poor voltage regulator can cause the alternator to output an erratic or unstable voltage. This would cause both your battery dash light and an "unstable" reading from the CSK machine, even if the battery is good. On top of that, it can cause the electronics (including the electronic throttle body) to go bonkers.

I think this is where your problem is coming from. I would watch the voltage at the alternator output as you start it and when you put the car into reverse or drive. If you notice that the voltage is unstable, the first thing I would replace is the voltage regulator. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the problem first started with the battery.. it was dead and has been nearly dead for about a week..

so 2 days ago it just gave in.. so i went to kragen and got a crappy new battery.. everything started up great!!! didnt turn off so i took a ride to kragen in the truck (silverado)

i live maybe 2 block away from kragen...
as i pulled into the parking lot of the store the damn truck died AGAIN! with the new battery so i automatically thought of the alternator (bad)

so i figured i would still drive the truck (bad idea i know) to kragen and get thm to maybe check out my battery / charging system.. everything was ok until i had the lights turned on and that stupid little thing said unstable battery BUT how can this be when i get got the damn battery 10 mins earlier!!!

anyway i drove the truck down to the dealer to check out what was wrong and see how much
one guy came out and said something about the injector and i was like nooo and told him i'll come back tomorrow

the next day i got some seafoam and thought i would AT LEAST clean out the TB ( which was electrical... crappy )
had a hard time starting and staying on but once it burned off it ran great and didnt turn off at all!!

after that i did a load test from the alternator which read 14.03 V with nothing on and 13.05 with the car off. and then turned on the A/C, the lights, and the stereo system which with that full load only went up to 14.09 V so everything seems fine.. i think.... RIGHT?????

the voltage regulator???
where would that be on a 03 silverado?

i agree with you, i dont think i solved the problem.... but im taking it day by day.. next i think ima change out the wires for the batt/alt and check out some other stuff....

hooRAH said:
I think the code will tell you the majority of the information for your problem.
As far as the bad injector line from the dealer, it was an uninformed shot in the dark. Unprofessional and lazy. Total garbage.

Stalling while going into drive is usual an electrical problem. Since you said that the seafoam helped, it may have been that the throttle plate was sticking (common on the toyota motors as well).

I am confused though - you said that the battery light came on. The battery light is not an indication of battery charge, it comes on when the charging system is not functioning properly.

If the problem goes away, then great. I, unfortunately, do not think you solved your problem, because I think that your problem is a poor voltage regulator. A poor voltage regulator can cause the alternator to output an erratic or unstable voltage. This would cause both your battery dash light and an "unstable" reading from the CSK machine, even if the battery is good. On top of that, it can cause the electronics (including the electronic throttle body) to go bonkers.

I think this is where your problem is coming from. I would watch the voltage at the alternator output as you start it and when you put the car into reverse or drive. If you notice that the voltage is unstable, the first thing I would replace is the voltage regulator. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
93 BMW 525i
395 Posts
Hmm, those voltage readings at the alternator sound okay. Im a bit stumped on this one then. I suppose it could be that the throttle plate was sticking and the Elec TB didn't have enough torque to get over the "stick" to open it, but Im stretching my understanding of them at this point. If this were the case and the seafoam cleared it up, then great.

Wouldn't explain the battery light though. Mabye they sold you a battery was bad? Ive never heard of it happening though.

Sorry, I think my experience runs out here. Let us know as more symptoms arise. BTW, you can get codes read for free at autozone.

·
Registered
93 BMW 525i
395 Posts
BTW, my BMW 330Ci has an electronic throttle body. Wish it didn't, but I can't say its given me any problems so far, and I don't notice it being any less responsive. There better be a good reason its in there though, those things are EXPENSIVE compared to normal ones.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,895 Posts
the voltage regulator is attached to the alternator on the silverado. when you replace the alternator, a new voltage regulator comes with it. but since its putting out good power and your truck isnt losing power, it doesnt sound like thats the problem in my totally unprofessional opinion. it sounds like something with your throttlebody. either something sticking or a bad vacuum line. cracked or loose.

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'll check the vac lines..

thanks

ghettosled said:
the voltage regulator is attached to the alternator on the silverado. when you replace the alternator, a new voltage regulator comes with it. but since its putting out good power and your truck isnt losing power, it doesnt sound like thats the problem in my totally unprofessional opinion. it sounds like something with your throttlebody. either something sticking or a bad vacuum line. cracked or loose.

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what do i tell autozone to get them to check my codes?

hooRAH said:
Hmm, those voltage readings at the alternator sound okay. Im a bit stumped on this one then. I suppose it could be that the throttle plate was sticking and the Elec TB didn't have enough torque to get over the "stick" to open it, but Im stretching my understanding of them at this point. If this were the case and the seafoam cleared it up, then great.

Wouldn't explain the battery light though. Mabye they sold you a battery was bad? Ive never heard of it happening though.

Sorry, I think my experience runs out here. Let us know as more symptoms arise. BTW, you can get codes read for free at autozone.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,895 Posts
abew330 said:
what do i tell autozone to get them to check my codes?
say, "excuse me mr. autozone person, my check engine light comes on and off. can you pull the codes for me? pretty please?"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts