Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how have all of you guys corrected your speedometers/odometers with the bigger tires? Flash the computer or what?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Tried2Live said:
Just out of curiosity, how have all of you guys corrected your speedometers/odometers with the bigger tires? Flash the computer or what?
If they haven't....what the are posting for mpg is wrong, in a good way. They are getting better gas mileage than they think.

a gps reference would be a good way to tell how far off the speedo is. By taking the precentage it is off and multiplying and adding the differance to what they got on that tank of gas...then calculate the new mpg. it should look like this -

all numbers and figures are just to illustrate my point.

350 miles to the tank with big tires and a 20 gallon tank

Mpg before correction - 350/20 = 17.5mpg

Speedo is off by 10%

correction - 350 x .10 = 35, 35+350 = 385

385/20 = 19.25 - corrected mpg (roughly)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Tried2Live said:
From what some people have said here, the speedo is off from the factory and the taller tires actually correct the speedo. A few months ago I drove by one of those radar guns that display your speed and my truck was going the same speed that was displayed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Blackenedsrt-4 said:
If they haven't....what the are posting for mpg is wrong, in a good way. They are getting better gas mileage than they think.

a gps reference would be a good way to tell how far off the speedo is. By taking the precentage it is off and multiplying and adding the differance to what they got on that tank of gas...then calculate the new mpg. it should look like this -

all numbers and figures are just to illustrate my point.

350 miles to the tank with big tires and a 20 gallon tank

Mpg before correction - 350/20 = 17.5mpg

Speedo is off by 10%

correction - 350 x .10 = 35, 35+350 = 385

385/20 = 19.25 - corrected mpg (roughly)

Yeah, that's why I asked.

As for the factory speedo being off, I have the in-dash nav unit and a handheld Garmin GPS, and they both are within 1mph of the factory speedo. Not saying it's not possible that other peoples' speedometers are a little off, but I can't see them being off so much that tires that much bigger will fix things.

·
Registered
348 Posts
what percentage do I need to use to adjust my milage? I got 285/75/16's from the stock 265/70/16's. I also wanna try a GPS to see whats really goin on. :)

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
The 33's corrected the factory speedometer error to within +- .5 mph....

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
265/75/16

I'm getting 16-17mpg on average. My speedo was pretty much dead on with the stock tires.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
265-70-16's 2.7L 5 speed 17.5 mpg :disappoin

·
Hughe Jorgan
07 R1 05 Tacoma
95 Posts
Low Mpg

I am getting roughly 15 mpg. That was before I added the exhaust. Now I seem to be getting worse mpg. Figure that one out. Anyone have any suggestions. Anything helps, besides someone telling me to take the exhaust off.

·
Crtl-Alt-Del
807 Posts
Using a friends radar gun (State Calibrated), my increase from 265/65/17 to 265/70/17 has fixed my speedo error. I'm now spot-on for mph. I was off before...

·
Registered
Base model 05' Taco
308 Posts
HarryTacoma said:
18.7-19-5 mpg with 265-75-16 BFG AT ko, 2.7 4cyl. 5 spd. and a Dukes of Hazard driving style. :eek:
What size is that equivilent to in inches? And do you have two or four wheel drive?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts