Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Highlander LE +, 2004 Highlander Limited 4WD
74 Posts
AWD or FWD? My ‘04 AWD averages around 17.5 mpg. That is a mix of highway and stop-and-go traffic. I have 137k miles. I have plans to clean several of the recommended intake components in the threads on this forum. I am not an aggressive driver and feel like I could/should get better mileage.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My 3.3 AWD LTD is now about 14 mpg in 95% 3 to 5!mile trips in stop and go boulevard driving. Doesn’t really get warmed up completely. It was about 12 until I replaced the plugs, MAF, air filter, and all the AF and O2 sensors and did a TB clean shortly after I got it at about 85k.

·
Registered
74 Posts
However, after I posted my mileage a few days ago, I've been getting pretty terrible mileage since then....more like 14.5mpg. Not sure why the sudden drop. Maybe weather related, as we just had the arctic plunge into TX. Back in the 60s yesterday and today. ¯\(ツ)
Almost time for an oil change. I think I'll clean up some intake components while I'm at it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
have you been letting the car idle to warm up in the cold weather? believe it or not, just idling for 10 minutes every morning will have a noticeable effect on mpg's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am not in the habit of early starts and idling. My wife tends to do that, though (especially last week when a trip anywhere was treacherous and we were waking up to single digits). I’ve not done the math on the latest tank of gas. I don’t expect it to be very good due to the aforementioned conditions.
I’ve just noticed a decrease in mileage per trip based on the MPG display on center console. My morning commute usually averages 17-18.5 mpg. The last two mornings have been 14.5-15 mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
what is fuel mileage for a 3.3v6
AWD v6 here. With CEL on for P0135/P0136/P0171/P0174 codes, I've been measuring my mileage and gas gallons to see how my MPG is affected. I have been getting 16MPG on mostly highway trips and 13.8 with shorter city trips. Still trying to decide if the bad MPG is happening because of the freezing weather or bad a/f and oxygen sensors!

·
Registered
21 Posts
It has been super cold and my car is not a fan. 2003 V6 AWD. Was averaging 21 ish and now like 18. just seems to be the way it is.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Gasoline is reformulated in the winter for lower emissions during warmup, at least in NJ. The result is a 1-2mpg loss every Oct. thru April on my Highlander on top of idling and cold weather operation.

·
Registered
2007 Highlander V6
2 Posts
This is making me feel quite lucky. My '07 V6 AWD has been getting 21 on longer highway trips, 19 when I'm around town more and taking short trips into the mountains.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’ve decided when I reported that I must have had a tank of “bad” gas. Since that time, I’ve returned back to my tank average of 17.5+ MPG. Daily commute has been back in the mid-18 MPG.

I am not in the habit of early starts and idling. My wife tends to do that, though (especially last week when a trip anywhere was treacherous and we were waking up to single digits). I’ve not done the math on the latest tank of gas. I don’t expect it to be very good due to the aforementioned conditions.
I’ve just noticed a decrease in mileage per trip based on the MPG display on center console. My morning commute usually averages 17-18.5 mpg. The last two mornings have been 14.5-15 mpg.

Reactions: C R

·
Registered
7 Posts
2005 v6 AWD here....winter gas. Mileage around town, short trips only, I get close to 13mpg. But if I stick do long duration highway trips, mileage goes WAY up. Guessing about 18-21mpg, but with Covid, have not taken any long trips.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts