Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I just filled my Matrix for the first time and am pleased with the mileage. The car has 490km on it and I am driving all city. My calculations are 26MPG or 8.9L/100km. :thumbsup:

GWM:chug:

·
Registered
09 Toyota Matrix XR
162 Posts
Hey all. I just filled my Matrix for the first time and am pleased with the mileage. The car has 490km on it and I am driving all city. My calculations are 26MPG or 8.9L/100km. :thumbsup:

GWM:chug:
Not bad! I average 9.5-9.8L/100 kms all city, but I will admit I do not drive all that conservatively. I have the 2.4L with a 5speed manual, and about 60,000kms on it. What model do you have?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine also a Touring Package, I could get 30.9 MPG, 70% highway and 30% CITY DRIVING, that was 87 octane rating. But now I'm using 91 octane for better pick-up
and smoother revving.

·
Registered
2010 Matrix AWD XR
90 Posts
Mine also a Touring Package, I could get 30.9 MPG, 70% highway and 30% CITY DRIVING, that was 87 octane rating. But now I'm using 91 octane for better pick-up
and smoother revving.
It is a common myth that Premium/High Octane fuel burns hotter, cleaner or smoother than regular. Higher octane actually reduces the flashpoint for higher compression and supercharged engines to prevent detonation.

You are not "treating" your engine nor are you doing it any favours by using premium if it was not designed to use it. You are, in fact, wasting your money and potentially causing other problems such as plug fouling and creating carbon deposits.

The Matrix was designed for Regular 87 Octane fuel. Unless you have massive carbon deposits that cause pinging and the engine to run-on after shut down, there is no point wasting money on premium fuel.

.......................................................................................................................

Back to the Poor Mileage of the Matrix...
I don't know of anyone who ever got the reported 52 Highway mpg for the first generation matrix with base engine.

With the 2.4 liter engine and AWD, I rarely get more than 30 Highway mpg...but compared to my previous V8 Grand Prix, I save $10 to $15 per week...it's all relative. But I certainly would not compound the poor mileage by wasting more money on Premium Fuel.

The Matrix is more of a Cross-over SUV than an economy car. It's a tall blocky vehicle with relatively poor aerodynamics. The lower profile and lighter Corolla likely gets much better mileage.

·
350whp grocery getter
2010 Corolla S
488 Posts
It is all in the driver. My fiance has averaged 32.7mpg over 17k miles in mixed driving in our 2010. Full highway she is typically >34mpg. In our old 2006 Corolla S she averaged >36mpg over 100k, and there were a few times we seen >46mpg on road trips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts