Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 HIGHLANDER 3.0L is experiencing a slight fuel smell when I come to a traffic stop. The odor is coming through the ventilation and if I turn off the blower fan there is no smell.

I have no CEL or errors. I've been all over the engine compartment, and under the vehicle and cannot detect any gas odor.

One thing I've noticed is that there is no PCV valve, just a hose. It does not look like there ever was one in the car.

Any idea?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,707 Posts
Hey there Paul, and welcome to the TN forums! I moved your post from the General Discussion forum to the 1st Gen Highlander forum where you’ll be more likely to get some help.

·
Registered
258 Posts
[QUOTE=

One thing I've noticed is that there is no PCV valve, just a hose. It does not look like there ever was one in the car.

What??? No PCV valve, but you have the hose? Can you verify that there is a PCV valve orifice in the rear valve cover? If so, and there is nothing in the orifice, that could be the source of the fuel odor...please look and see if this is so! And how do you know that the hose is a PCV hose? And can you take pics? I'm sure you'll raise a lot of curiosity on the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is an orifice which contains a threaded hose nipple. The hose is attached. I have to investigate further today.
OK, followed up with some on-line research and I appear to be barking up the wrong tree. The correct metal PCV valve is installed as I described. I was expecting to see a plastic valve pressed into a rubber grommet and it threw me off.

I need to trace the hose and make sure it is connected properly.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

·
3,526 Posts
Welcome tot he site Paul!

I noticed I would always smell gas for awhile after filling up my '97 Taco. One day my wife said "well, you have the driver door open when you do it, so maybe that is the problem". She was right (stupid alarm system would engage when closing the driver door, so I kept it propped open). Do you smell this all the time or only around fill ups?

Also, any chance you stepped in a puddle of gas and it is on the floor mats? Maybe when the air blows on it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts