Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
'95 LC & '96 Avalon
1995 Mustang Cobra
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Avalon with 215,000 miles. I recently noticed a fuel odor in passenger compartment when car sits idling at stop lights, etc. I traced the fuel lines from the tank into engine compartment and there was no sign of any leaks or odor. The odor comes from around the injectors; but there is no noticeable fuel leak there either. I replaced the 'o' rings on the 3 front injectors but there was no impact as the odor is still noticeable when the car is idling.

Has anyone had this problem or could shed some light on what it may be?

Many thanks.

·
97 Avalon Silver Spruce
97 Avalon
276 Posts
Yes!

I had that problem, and it was coming from leaky valve cover gaskets...the oil (which because it circulates in the engine contains gasoline) was leaking out and down the engine and was causing it to stink whenever I had the heat on outside. The odor was not extremely strong but it was noticeable. Take a look at your valve covers and see if there is an oil slick running down it. That is how I found the problem, I smelled the oil closely, and it smelled like gas, I just changed the valve cover gaskets about 10 mins ago actually (the grease is s till under my fingernails :lol:) and now the odor is completely gone. I washed off the entire engine with mineral spirits and checked for leaks as well, and there were none. Its amazing how much oil leaks from these stupid things over the years, I had oil caked up everywhere. Take a look at the valve cover gaskets before you try and do anything expensive and/or labor intensive. Take care and good luck with it!

·
'95 LC & '96 Avalon
1995 Mustang Cobra
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. There is definately an oil leak from the rear vc gasket. I have ordered the gasket and will fix it this weekend. Any tips since you have already done it? It looks like I just need to undo the throttle bottle and take off the upper intake manifold. Since I have to take off the upper intake manifold, I'll put new 'o' rings on the rear injectors while I'm back there. Any tips or suggestions based on your experience would be appreciated.

·
97 Avalon Silver Spruce
97 Avalon
276 Posts
yea

I only did the gasket on the front of the engine, since it was leaking like crazy...the back one wasnt nearly as bad, so I will tackle that another time. To get to the back ones you need to take off the intake manifold and and air cleaner assembly, it seems like a big pain in the ass, if you do this in addition to changing the O-rings on the injectors, change the plugs too while you're at it just in case, it will only cost like 8 bucks total while you already have everything undone. As far as the fronts go, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE BOLTS OR THEY WILL BREAK. I had that happen to me, they break extremely easily, they are actually designed to do that because if u overtighten them you can strip/warp the head, which is aluminum, and this is very expensive to replace, so they are like "sacrificial" bolts that break instead of ruining the heads. Also, dont forget to put silicone gasket sealer around where the camshaft meets the head on the right side, put it in four spots where there is a gap and also put it on the left side, on either side of the bulge where the timing sprocket is. If you do not the silicone sealer there, it will leak (as i found out the hard way...) thats about it, the fronts were very simple to do, just unscrew the spark plugs wires and valve cover gasket bolts and it comes right off. Also, make sure you clean the head off with degreaser or mineral spriits or sometihng and also clean the valve cover off as well, make sure there is no grease on either of the sealing surfaces including the new valve cover gaskets, otherwise it will leak. Anyway, good luck with everything, I need to do the rears soon, let me know how u made out with those, and if you run into any problems.

-Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts