Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a weber in the motor and it appear to run great, but is startiing hard and it seems to be getting worse. the guides and seals are gone it burns on start up and then evenly after that. What are the characteristics when there is to much fuel pressure to the carb?

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
simplest clues are black smoke and fumes that sting your nose and make your eyes water. You want 4-7psi at that carb and not a bit more, unless you haven't told us about the supercharger it sits on....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although very cool, No super charger, I need to correct my typo, should be 32/36 DGEV Weber. I have heard that carb doesn't like anything more than 2.5 lbs. given it will damage the internal fuel regulator? any thoughts?

·
Registered
193 Posts
You are correct, that carb will only take a couple psi before the needle/seat are overcome, and the thing runs unpredictably rich, depending on how much extra fuel is going in.
There is a Holley regulator that is around $30 that will make sure the pressure is correct.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I think that is exactly what the issue is,.... too rich and unpredictable. I ordered a regulator from Redline,... $80,....I heard it was a pretty good unit,... I am not finding a fuel preasure gauge that anyone can verify is OK.
By running it that way have I damaged the carb?

·
Tinkering Addict
89 Tercel EZ
332 Posts
Thanks, I think that is exactly what the issue is,.... too rich and unpredictable. I ordered a regulator from Redline,... $80,....I heard it was a pretty good unit,... I am not finding a fuel preasure gauge that anyone can verify is OK.
By running it that way have I damaged the carb?
I got a redline brand fuel regulator for my swap and I definitely recommend it. When you get the regulator, turn the adjustment screw all the way in and then back it out two full turns. That gave me 2.25PSI which is where I left mine at since 2PSI is recommended for aggressive driving. I used a cheapo vacuum/fuel pressure guage from Advance auto and it seemed to give consistent readings, whether or not they are 100% accurate I cannot say for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts