Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey new member here. I have a 2015 Corolla L that started yesterday but not today. I do not hear the pump come on and no dash lights or errors. I have been searching online and here in the forum but cannot find a definitive location for the fuse or relay. Any diagrams that can point it out with how to test?

Thanks

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,871 Posts
EFI Relay povides power to the fuel pump. Some owners have said they pulled the relay out for a couple minutes and put it back in and it reset itself. Basically they're electro magnetic switches so when they are pulled out any residual elecrical energy is disappated. Like a capcitor dumping energy. I had a smiliar issue with my MR2 power steering relay (gen 2) By pulling it out it both dumped the energy it had stored and the friction of taking it in and out as well as cleaning the prongs on the relay solved my issues. Worth a try.

Good article on relays and ways to test them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have pulled the battery cables to make sure they were clean and tight. Would that do the same or just better to pull the relay?

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,871 Posts
Yes, but you can't test the relay ior inspect and clean the connections without pulling it.
Right now you don't even know if it's getting power to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today before going any further I went out and was able to pump the gas a few times and it has started every time since then.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I tried to start the car yesterday it sounded as if it needed gas. So I pumped the pedal a few times while the key was turned and it started.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
181 Posts
If you leave the key in the "on" position for 20 seconds before you try to start the car and it starts right away, let us know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it does start. After it started yesterday I have used the car enough to start the car eight more times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I had to pump the pedal a few times, it took about 15 to 30 seconds of trying to get it to start. After that it starts as soon as I turn the key.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,917 Posts
The pump might be clogged or injector timing controlled by ECU needs to be corrected.

Try using Chevron fuel system cleaner.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
181 Posts
Hoses dry out due to losing their moisture content and would develop small cracks. I'd pull the relay as previously stated to let the magnet discharge and check the connections for corrosion (happens in a constantly humid environment) and if there is any corrosion clean the contacts then reinsert. When the key is on the "on" position, it turns the fuel pump on then a vacuum is created to force the fuel through the lines to the fuel injectors. You are doing this yourself by pumping the accelerator pedal. And considering you have to do it a bunch it leads me to believe a vacuum isn't sufficient. The possibility of a clogging fuel filter is slim for the year but possible. The Idle Air Controller doesn't seem like the culprit due to it not stalling when idling... I'm still learning so don't expect me to pinpoint exactly what the problem is but it sounds like a lack of vacuum since you are needing to pump the accelerator pedal excessively

·
Registered
27 Posts
FYI; pumping the gas pedal on a fuel injection car doesn't do anything. This is for older cars equipped with carburetors that had accelerator pumps. Back in the day, this was used as a means to prime the engine with fuel prior to starting. If you have no lights when starting, it seems more like a battery or ignition switch issue than a fuel pump. Did you inspect the battery cable connections and grounds? Take them off and clean both the terminals and cable ends. Easy stuff first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I did remove the cables from the terminals and clean them. Sorry when I mentioned lights there was no error dummy lights. All normal lights were on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts