Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 Highlander has problems with a low pressure fuel pump. Sometimes when driving the engine stalls, and I cannot accelerate. This happened once at high speed on a country road. It happened again in heavy stop-and-go traffic downtown Austin. It is a dangerous situation because if you are trying to enter a freeway and you need to accelerate you can get hit from behind or on the side.
I took my car to the dealership in south Austin. They diagnosed the problem and said I could not drive my car until a new safety recall is issued and the car is repaired. The safety recall is number 20TB02. They gave me a rental car to use until this recall is officially mailed out to owners. Toyota is paying for the rental car. The official notice is supposed to happen by mid-March 2020.

Meanwhile my Highlander is just sitting on the lot at the dealership waiting for the official recall. Over 500,000 Toyotas are subject to this recall. A lot of them have not had problems. But since my car actually had symptoms in dangerous situations it is quarantined at the dealership. The rental car is a Camry which is in good condition, but it does not have the space I really need when I take my grandchildren in the car. I'm frustrated. :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
My 2019 Highlander has problems with a low pressure fuel pump. Sometimes when driving the engine stalls, and I cannot accelerate. This happened once at high speed on a country road. It happened again in heavy stop-and-go traffic downtown Austin. It is a dangerous situation because if you are trying to enter a freeway and you need to accelerate you can get hit from behind or on the side.
I took my car to the dealership in south Austin. They diagnosed the problem and said I could not drive my car until a new safety recall is issued and the car is repaired. The safety recall is number 20TB02. They gave me a rental car to use until this recall is officially mailed out to owners. Toyota is paying for the rental car. The official notice is supposed to happen by mid-March 2020.

Meanwhile my Highlander is just sitting on the lot at the dealership waiting for the official recall. Over 500,000 Toyotas are subject to this recall. A lot of them have not had problems. But since my car actually had symptoms in dangerous situations it is quarantined at the dealership. The rental car is a Camry which is in good condition, but it does not have the space I really need when I take my grandchildren in the car. I'm frustrated. :(
I’d demand a like vehicle as a loaner! You may have to hound the dealership, call Toyota National, but squeaky wheel get the grease.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,888 Posts

I’d be telling Toyota they need to make the payments on it while it sits there unusable..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I received my preliminary recall notice Friday for my 2019 Highlander Limited. They aren't ready to repair yet though. But I have never seen the reference in it to low pressure fuel pump. Is that low pressure designation different than a normal fuel pump>

·
Registered
177 Posts
No troubles yet, but just got my warning letter for my 2018 LC 500. But not for my 2017 HL.
I've checked my VIN and see no fuel pump recall for our 2017 HiHy ... but we did have one for an oil cooler pipe, dealer flagged that during routine maintenance before we evengot a notice in the mail and has already fixed it..

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,888 Posts
More vehicles were added to this recall today. My 2018 originally wasn't but is now on the recall list.....12/17 build date

·
Registered
12 Posts
I looked mine up today and I'm on the list. Just bought my 2019 last week. I'm guessing this is a time consuming fix. Depending exactly where the fuel pump is.
Sitting on the lot would piss me off. You should have them put it inside AND I would have them add time to my warranty. :mad:

·
Registered
13 Highlander AWD
694 Posts
Apparently this is specific to the low pressure fuel pump utilized in the direct injection engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts