Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tricky little things. They can 'work' but not fine and you will think your car is just sluggish and odd. Now that a new fuel pump and filter are in (also cleaned the gas tank with muriatic acid from the pool store) it has almost the same zip to it as my sister's 98 and it's very responsive to throttle, and the computer isn't even done getting used to a properly functioning fuel system.

It's too bad that fuel pumps are one of those super important parts of a car that you can't easily see. From now on, I will have a fuel pressure test done on all of my cars. You just never know.

The old fuel pump looked like it had been in a fire, by the way...

·
11,514 Posts
Tricky little things. They can 'work' but not fine and you will think your car is just sluggish and odd. Now that a new fuel pump and filter are in (also cleaned the gas tank with muriatic acid from the pool store) it has almost the same zip to it as my sister's 98 and it's very responsive to throttle, and the computer isn't even done getting used to a properly functioning fuel system.

It's too bad that fuel pumps are one of those super important parts of a car that you can't easily see. From now on, I will have a fuel pressure test done on all of my cars. You just never know.

The old fuel pump looked like it had been in a fire, by the way...

Good to know, thanks. Fuel pumps have not always been in the fuel tank

·
Registered
1 Posts
any pics to see for the old one before replacement, and what kind of test u run to check if it's working properly or not? thx. i've been thinking the same way but after removing them, their appearance still look good.... ??? anyone has experienced this ..pls share

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
any pics to see for the old one before replacement, and what kind of test u run to check if it's working properly or not? thx. i've been thinking the same way but after removing them, their appearance still look good.... ??? anyone has experienced this ..pls share
No pics. My mechanic did some diagnostics and some test driving and came to the conclusion that it must be a weak fuel pump because it would only act up certain times, particularly when the tank was low and you would take corners fast.

I noticed this when I first got the car. I would take it out to play and it would cut out on me (not shut off, just lost power) when I gave it some really nice twists and turns. I wasn't really sure what to think of it though. Well, it don't do that no mo!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts