Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Mada
1991 Toyota Pickup
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had just left my house and was driving in 4th when my engine died. I tried to start it back up and all it did was crank. I was on empty but still above the line. I HAVE ridden it pretty far below but I only began to run out once. Could this be my fuel pump?

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
Could be, but? You could use the fuel pump jumper and listen for the pump running without the engine on. You should also check for spark on your plugs to see if you lost the coil/igniter. Timing chain broke? Pull the distributor and see if the rotor spins when cranking the motor.
Did you put in more gas?

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
the sender is just a rheostat with a wire arm to a foam float. the float can lose buoyancy, arm can bend, and resistances (from the power sorce, to the sender, the sender itself, and back to the gauges, and ground from the gauges) can drift. IE fuel gauges are a rough indicator only, that's why new cars with DTE readouts just say "fill up now, idiot" when they get below 50-75 miles.

+1 try putting a gallon or 2 of gas in it and see what it does. Usually running out of gas will sputter and misfire a bit (and idle OK) but maybe the angle or something made the gas run away from the pickup.

·
The Mada
1991 Toyota Pickup
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put a gallon in and it does the same thing. The engine was rebuilt about 25k ago. Engine shakes a lot when I crank it, not sure if it shook that much before..

·
Registered
96 Posts
FYI: Driving around with almost no gas in the tank, especially in hot climates, supposedly will hasten the eventual demise of your fuel pump.

·
The Mada
1991 Toyota Pickup
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's why I suspect its the pump, I was a dumbass for a while.. lol is this a hard job?

·
The Mada
1991 Toyota Pickup
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im a "dumbass" once again. Went out to start diagnosing and the first fuse I pulled (efi) was blown.

·
The Mada
1991 Toyota Pickup
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha yeah. I was out today and the fuse blew again. It happens when im cruising in 4th at lower rpms. Idk if its normal but in the same fuse box the other round EFI connection gets hot.

·
The Mada
1991 Toyota Pickup
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blew two more fuses tonight driving 2 miles. Anyone know where I can get an efi diagram? Will I have to take the bed off?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts