Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, my dad has a 88 camry and it starts and idles fine except sometimes when u press the accelerator more than 10%, then the car will kind of stutter like its out of gas and if you press any more, the car dies... the fuel filter was replaced (very dirty), passed smog...and has iridiums on it right now.

could the fuel pump be the problem? distributor?(replaced in 01') injectors?

thanks (i have to drive it right now since my accord is in the paint shop)

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
yes the fuel pump could be the problem but you can still check the distrobuter and the coil as well. you can also check the air filter and try dumping a bottle of injector cleaner in as well.

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chronoti said:
yes the fuel pump could be the problem but you can still check the distrobuter and the coil as well. you can also check the air filter and try dumping a bottle of injector cleaner in as well.
aight, sounds like its time for a full tune up then :D

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
if they are really bad, well around here seafoam is getting rather popular i read on other forums that if you run that trough your gas tank like double strenght it cleans them really good, and also pouring it directly in the engine as well.

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
chronoti said:
if they are really bad, well around here seafoam is getting rather popular i read on other forums that if you run that trough your gas tank like double strenght it cleans them really good, and also pouring it directly in the engine as well.
im defintely running seafoam b4 changing the spark plugs and oil, i still have some left over from the accord tune up.

update: what i have noticed was that if i stick it into the gear low or "2" that it runs much smoother. if it was in Gear D then through 1st, it would run smoothly, shift to 2nd, and bog down and almost die...

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update: car wouldnt start today, a also saw a bunch of smoke coming out of the hood. guess its really time to change something...

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
changed fuel pump and it started, couple minutes later, the stuttering came back. im really thining its the Injectors or egr valve.
so the EGR valve is this thing closest to us? (silver thing?)

·
Registered
1988 Camry LE
10 Posts
This sounds like what happened to my camry, except when I check the timing it looks 180 out. Now it doesn't start at all unless I hold the gas to the floor. Hope yours doesn't end up like mine.

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phobos said:
This sounds like what happened to my camry, except when I check the timing it looks 180 out. Now it doesn't start at all unless I hold the gas to the floor. Hope yours doesn't end up like mine.
yea, i read about urs, bad stuff...

anyways, we got a distributor and wires and planning on putting it in...oh and we lost our manual dammit.

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
wed3k said:
so the EGR valve is this thing closest to us? (silver thing?)
Yup.

The other one is the egr vm (vacuum modulator).

im really thining its the Injectors or egr valve.
You can check the egr valve by applying vacuum to it. The valve should open.

To check the injectors you can use the screwdriver trick. Get a large flathead screwdriver and place the tip against the injector. And the handle to your ear.

You'll hear clicking as the injectors turn on/off. They should all sound the same. If you have one that sounds different from the others, you have a problem with that injector.

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
88 LE said:
Yup.

The other one is the egr vm (vacuum modulator).

You can check the egr valve by applying vacuum to it. The valve should open.

To check the injectors you can use the screwdriver trick. Get a large flathead screwdriver and place the tip against the injector. And the handle to your ear.

You'll hear clicking as the injectors turn on/off. They should all sound the same. If you have one that sounds different from the others, you have a problem with that injector.
you are a god send, anyways...i didnt know you had to take off the throttle body in order to take off the egr valve, it aint as easy as everyone says...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts