Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just bought a 2007 Rav4. Its 4 Cylinder and the limited edition. Had a question about using Fuel Saver Chip on this car since I feel it sometimes lacks power. Had someone used a a fuel saver chip in their rav 4s and would someone recommend it?

Thanks Guys,

· This Space For Rent
14,213 Posts
Don't do it, it's a waste of money, you'll be using more gas. It's basically a 5 cent resistor that fools the computer telling it the air coming in is actually cooler than it really is thus using more fuel.

· This Space For Rent
14,213 Posts
How much power are you looking for? Nickel and diming it won't get you anything, but a lighter wallet. If you want a significant increase in HP you'd have to get a supercharger or a turbo.

edit: remember, you have a 4banger, you can only get so much out of it. Maybe you should have gotten a V6?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right. I should have gotten a V6. At the time of test drving the Rav4 I did not see much difference in power between the 4 and the 6. It is when i am going up a hill I notice the difference. Should have thought of that before I bought the car.

· Registered
2006 RAV4
170 Posts
Wow, you didn't see a difference between 166 HP and 269 HP??

Sorry to say, but I don't think you test drove the V6.

I have the I4 and think it has plenty of power for my needs, but I drive on relatively flat land, with (max) 2 people in the car, and I don't tow anything. If I did any of these things I would have bought the V6.

· Registered
1 Posts
Coming from a big truck with a v8 I can definitely tell the difference. But it's not horsepower as advertising will have everyone believe. The torque is what you feel pulling you up a hill. Also the RPM where the power is most powerful is key. Actually the 4-cyl makes alot of power lower in the rpm range than the 6-cyl so it's power is more usable.
I test drove a 4-cyl and a 6-cyl Rav4 and felt very little difference in "usable" power. Be realistic, test drive a car how you will drive it. If you plan to be a speed demon test drive that way, if you plan to be a normal part of society do that on your test drive. The power difference between the 2 engines is higher in the rpm range than most people drive most of the time, so most people would never "feel" any difference.
My little 4 cylinder Rav4 has more than enough oomph for driving to and from work and having more than enough fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.