Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Highlander XLE 2016
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody insists on using this "fuel System Cleaner" on their cars? Toyota Services provides their own brand and also multiple brands are available from local Auto accessory shops, worth the dollar spent on these? I am a new HL owner. Used to ignored these things but am trying to find out more information about this mysterious potion.:frown:

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,210 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, I recommend Startron: http://www.starbrite.com/startron

I use it on all engines, large and small. Treats the fuel for alcohol and cleans carbon from cylinders aswell as cleaning injectors. Engines startup even easier (especially small ones) than without. I get a quart that treats 512 gallons of gasoline for about $28 on ebay.

Of course there are many, many other good brands of fuel treatment, Seafoam, Lucas, Stabil, ect. This one works and is more economical.

Startron goes in the fuel. Seafoam has some variability on the install, here is one way it works really fast: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/215521-seafoam-spray-worked-again.html (see video on #1 ).

:^)

·
Registered
Highlander XLE 2016
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Been using Techron EFI cleaner for years, sure doesn't hurt to use it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used to be a sales rep for BG Products and have been in their lab to see the testing of their product against Lucas and several other competitors. I can tell you that I saw documented computer data with my own eyes that a single can run through a 2003 Dodge Durango (the duration of a tank of gas) provided a 37% increase in air flow through the catalytic converter. Over the course of that week the owner, who I know personally, reported a 2 mpg improvement in fuel economy.

·
Registered
2014 Toy Highlander
21 Posts
Been using Techron EFI cleaner for years, sure doesn't hurt to use it.

I keep a bottle of Techron in the saddlebag of my GoldWing in case the only gas around is NON-TOP TIER gas. Otherwise TT is the only gas I'll buy.
If I'm not mistaken I believe Toyota owners manual even specifies using TT gas in their vehicles.
https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

Larry (thecruiser) :laugh:

·
Registered
335 Posts
You will get advice both ways. If you have a new car, be sure to run only Top Tier gas. That is most important. I use Techron at every oil change because most of my driving is under 5 miles, so the car barely warms up, which is very severe service. I believe in the cleaner if you have a used car that might not have been well-cared for or you do a lot of short trips because I had an old 88 Sentra beater that would misfire and a bottle of Techron made a big difference. Recently I took my 01 HL to the dealer for service and they accidentally put in their fuel system cleaner. It actually seemed to help. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts