Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inside release will not open the tank cover ON MY 98 Camry. I don't want to force it open and break something. Help!!!! I need gas soon!!!

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,072 Posts
Pry with a couple plastic credit cards and have someone pull the release lever.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,862 Posts
maybe just the spring that pops the door open came off or broke. try having someone pull the lever while you try and open the door manually.

i dont know if this is possible on a camry, but on other cars ive owned if you take off the carpeting inside the truck by the fuel door there might be a manual release or you may need to unscrew the popper thingie from there to open the fuel door.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
bstarr said:
The inside release will not open the tank cover ON MY 98 Camry. I don't want to force it open and break something. Help!!!! I need gas soon!!!

This is pretty common for this generation Camry. Usually the V shaped spring inside the gas lid either breaks or falls out. This is about a $4 item at the Toyota dealer. In the mean time, wedge something under the release inside the car and go out and open it with a credit card. I remember one poster saying he jammed his wallet under the release inside the car and then opened it with a credit card since he didn't have another person around to hold it open. Another poster used the seat belt to wrap around it and pull upward.

Mike

PS: Here's a link to another thread posted by someone with the exact same problem. Pictures in the thread show the spring I am talking about:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t114133.html

·
Del The Funky One
763 Posts
I had the same problem. I'd prop my car key under the lever in the car. You shouldn't need a credit card to open it. The hinge is about a third of the way in on the gas-door, so you can just push on the gas-door edge (by the rear passenger door), and it should open.

And yeah, the part is cheap at the dealership, and easy to put back in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANK YOU! I didn't have a helper but I was able to wedge the inside release lever, and pop the cover with the credit cards. This happened once before and I had the little V spring replaced. I gave the latch inside the cover a couple of un-mechanic like bangs so it doesn't stick out so far. Is it strange that there is no manual release mechanism?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts