Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
1998 Camry 2.2 Auto.
In my opinion, IF you plan on keeping the car, I would replace the tank, ( appox $125.00- $180.00 ,, PLUS Shipping costs PLUS labor ) tanks can be found through local auto parts stores, or on-line, cheaper than burning up the car or the garage & house, FUMES are BIG worry .... keep the windows open till you fix it ... be careful where you park it ......馃槙

Registered
looks like the hose is a little wet weep around the clamp, do you have a video of it leaking while filling the tank?
clean it all off dry and see where the wetness occurs
that is how i diagnose my Corolla fuel tank leak but it was at the very top of the tank small hose from the vent outpipe

Registered
Spray it clean with brake cleaner so you can tell how serious the leak is. Maybe you can wire brush the rust off and seal with epoxy putty. You could just find a good used tank at the salvage yard and swap it on. Careful working around gasoline. That doesn't look like an OEM pipe clamp to me, so the problem may have been developing slowly for a long time...just a guess. Lookit: https://www.maxwarehouse.com/produc..._term=4575480205951768&utm_content=Low Margin

Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
My money is on the hose. You can try replacing that first and while it is off inspect the tank "nipple" just in case. In my experience, even some badly rusted filler parts were still intact but the rubber hoses had rotted away.

In any case, if once the hose is off the tank reveals itself to be no good the advice given by the others above to buy a used tank from a local salvage yard would be my next step. Only if no used tanks are available to you locally, then look into new (Rock Auto).

Registered
Most salvage yards I have been to I have noted the tanks have been punched and drained so rather useless to damage a tank somebody down the ways might have need for! (n)

That fatty hose clamp looks much like the one Toyota motor NA supplied to me when I replaced the 25 yr old fattie, 40$ for that hose lol 馃ぃ but not rotted, nice and smooth to touch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts