Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1991 toyota 4runner
70 Posts
your car is designed to run on premium fuel driving it on low grade will just make your car run rough its not worth the cost in the end and its an MR2! give it the best cause its worth it especially the turbo! you save money by driving that instead of an SUV anyway!

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
i run nothing but 94 in my car..but i'm running higher boost....car always seems to run so much smoother with higher octane.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
the real question is though would you pay like 4$ more to have a much smoother more fun ride? yes, i would

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the reason i asked was because i was going to purchase an mr2 turbo, ut the guy i was gonna buy it from said he uses 87, and it runs normally, maybe tats why he wants to sell it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also what about the gen 1 mr2, do u need to run high octane on the supercharged version, whats the required octane

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just purchased my AW11 SC and I've been running 98 Octane for 2 tanks now and it runs 10.57km/L (295km / 27.92L)

Just this morning I put 91 Octane in it because the Gas Company is getting sneaky and won't sell Premium on tightass Tuesday. I ask them and they said they ran out. (Bull Crap!!!)

I'll see what fuel efficency is like on 91 Octane.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I run 93 only, if you run any less then 91 you may run into detonation issues.
exactly. I always run 93 in mine. If hes running 87 i guarentee that thing was detonating like a bastard. I wouldnt buy it if he said hes been running it like that for a while.

Because i know someone that had a 2g eclipse turbo w/ a 16g and he went to a place that was full serve. He told them 93 and they f'd up and put 87 in. Within a day the engine blew on him from a serious case of detonation

·
Midship Captain
1991 MR2 Turbo
1,643 Posts
exactly. I always run 93 in mine. If hes running 87 i guarentee that thing was detonating like a bastard. I wouldnt buy it if he said hes been running it like that for a while.

Because i know someone that had a 2g eclipse turbo w/ a 16g and he went to a place that was full serve. He told them 93 and they f'd up and put 87 in. Within a day the engine blew on him from a serious case of detonation
I always watch those bastards to make sure they put in 93. Every so often i get a guy who is about to put in 87 and then I yell real loud 93!!! 93!!!! usually startles them enough so when I come back they know exactly what i want. :lol:

It sucks, most gas stations in my town/area are Full service. I wish we had self serve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Running 91 Octane vs. 98 Octane

the 91 gave me 8.53km/L

compared to

the 98 Octane, 10.57Km/L

The Verdict:
I notice a few things when driving with 91, it felt that the ride wasn't as smooth compared when driving on 98. The engine wasn't ticking when running on 91, so that means the fuels is burning correctly. However I'm worried about the long term damage.

I put in a full tank of 95 today. Will see how that fairs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts