Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
i didnt shift it at WOT. only after i let my foot off the pedal before i shifted. the only thing was downshifting from 2nd gear to L
still not good for it though....I do a complete stop before I go L 2 3 D but I never do it unless Im showing someone how it sounds when you hold it at around 3.5K rpms and then floor it and the sound the car makes but I try to not do it.....I havent done that in like 6months

but yeah I like the hissing/breathing sound....pretty cool :thumbsup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still not good for it though....I do a complete stop before I go L 2 3 D but I never do it unless Im showing someone how it sounds when you hold it at around 3.5K rpms and then floor it and the sound the car makes but I try to not do it.....I havent done that in like 6months

but yeah I like the hissing/breathing sound....pretty cool :thumbsup:
glad you like the sound, but jw, do you have proof or sources that its bad for the transmission?

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
glad you like the sound, but jw, do you have proof or sources that its bad for the transmission?
lol idk from other people on the forum. If I do anything, I just go from L 2 3 D from a stop. I am very uncomfortable with the fact that my car jolts really hard when you change gears when moving...I mean its not a manual transmission so its not gonna know when you are changing gears, there isnt a clutch like in a manual.....more like friction bands that slowly do the job and thats why you get a smoother gear change. You can change it from D to 3 and use it as a overdrive when you need to and then return it to D but its really not suppose to go to 2 or L while moving no auto is. Thats why they have tip tronic autos with purpose made tranny's and manual transmissions.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts
lol idk from other people on the forum. If I do anything, I just go from L 2 3 D from a stop. I am very uncomfortable with the fact that my car jolts really hard when you change gears when moving...I mean its not a manual transmission so its not gonna know when you are changing gears, there isnt a clutch like in a manual.....more like friction bands that slowly do the job and thats why you get a smoother gear change. You can change it from D to 3 and use it as a overdrive when you need to and then return it to D but its really not suppose to go to 2 or L while moving no auto is. Thats why they have tip tronic autos with purpose made tranny's and manual transmissions.
I've heard many of you talk about this & I've never had any issues with any auto transmission when shifting in manually. My Previa has 127,000 miles on it & I shift it all the time manually with no issues at all. I've had several other Toyota automatics & no issues with those either. My dad used to have a Cressida with an auto & we all drove it like a manual & shifting like a manual & had no issues with over 100k miles on it too. :rolleyes: I've just never heard of this problem from a transmission expert so I can only speak to what I've seen & that it no problems. ;)

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
I've heard many of you talk about this & I've never had any issues with any auto transmission when shifting in manually. My Previa has 127,000 miles on it & I shift it all the time manually with no issues at all. I've had several other Toyota automatics & no issues with those either. My dad used to have a Cressida with an auto & we all drove it like a manual & shifting like a manual & had no issues with over 100k miles on it too. :rolleyes: I've just never heard of this problem from a transmission expert so I can only speak to what I've seen & that it no problems. ;)
who knows I know Im very confused....I sometimes drive it L 2 3 D but very rarely..I just leave it in D obviously...Im just gonna get a manual for the rest of my life and save myself the trouble and hearache:D but I just feel very uncomfortable with downshifting :ugh3: I just dont like how it jerks the car foward

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
im no expert in transmissions but surely it isnt good for an automatic transmission to be treated like a manual. it probably does put more wear on the transmission.

·
rieds
2010 Corolla S
305 Posts
i'd look at it this way, say if you got 500 pounds of landscaping materials in your trunk and your climbing a big long nasty hill, what would be harder on your tranny and your motor, letting it hard shift back and forth between second and third, or first and second if it was a really nasty hill, by itself or just down shiffting into a lower gear once and leaving it there until you got the top of the hill and put it back in drive.

back to the original thread, by the looks of the tach in the video, your car excellerates much quicker than stock with the short ram intake. i might have to sell my k&n drop in with home made cold air intake and get one of these. i dont drive at high speeds but i like to go from 0-60 in a hurry when traffic sucks. wonder if i could accomplish the same thing by taking all the tubing off leading up to the airbox and cutting a bigger opening in the airbox? or does the round tube straight to the throttle body make for much better airflow that the rectangular airbox?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts
im no expert in transmissions but surely it isnt good for an automatic transmission to be treated like a manual. it probably does put more wear on the transmission.
That's why I wanted to report the fact that I've never seen any problems with me shifting. I don't normally shift to L until stopped but I do enjoy shifting up through the gears from L-2-3-D. I also shift down from D-3-2 just like my manual but than shift to L after coming to a stop at a light. ;)

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
That's why I wanted to report the fact that I've never seen any problems with me shifting. I don't normally shift to L until stopped but I do enjoy shifting up through the gears from L-2-3-D. I also shift down from D-3-2 just like my manual but than shift to L after coming to a stop at a light. ;)
I guess since you say so....I trust you:thumbsup:

I wanna show this one guy that if you do hold it at around 3.5k rpms and then floor it, the sound is just amazing :D and also I can hear the whooshing sound from the intake....which I LOVE hearing much better with aftermarket intakes.

you guys are killing me!:lol: I needs more money nows!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
how do you like your intake so far
so far, loving it, especially since i got it for $134 no tax free shipping. before, flooring the pedal in park for a split second the RPMs would only climb up to 1.5 - 2K rpms, now with the intake it goes up to 3K rpms. throttle response is alot better, and theres the badass noise it makes

btw, ever wonder what your MPGs are at WOT? haha

·
Registered
2003 matrix xrs
377 Posts
mine mpg sits around 31 @ wot. i have the same intake as you.

·
The random one
2010 Corolla CE
523 Posts
I used to do that with a caravan. They have the reputation for bad transmissions, but i never had any problems. The newer transmission are not directly linked with the transmission after D, so you can shift smoothly from L-2-3-D or the opposite. I wouldn't do it with older cars tho as some have direct links and shift gears right away.

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
I used to do that with a caravan. They have the reputation for bad transmissions, but i never had any problems. The newer transmission are not directly linked with the transmission after D, so you can shift smoothly from L-2-3-D or the opposite. I wouldn't do it with older cars tho as some have direct links and shift gears right away.
hmmm that explains why....lol I had to downshift my dads retarded silverado when the BRAKES FAILED....again:ugh3: and man that thing was rough, it did not like me doing that

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts
so far, loving it, especially since i got it for $134 no tax free shipping. before, flooring the pedal in park for a split second the RPMs would only climb up to 1.5 - 2K rpms, now with the intake it goes up to 3K rpms. throttle response is alot better, and theres the badass noise it makes

btw, ever wonder what your MPGs are at WOT? haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md09QQkM5zo
It depends on the speed you are going & what gear you are in, it will change as those 2 factors change but it's not good. :lol: I notice my mpg in the single to low teens if I accelerate hard. :eek: But it goes up quickly as your speed levels off.

Now you need to get a Pivot 3-Drive Throttle Controller & you will finally have fantastic throttle response. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts