Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 96 camry and my gas mileage just sux. i have done all kind of tune up i kno and its not improving. do ne one know why the camry burn gas so much . i only get 200 mile on a full tank.
thx

·
Registered
750 Posts
I get atleast 400 miles, more if just highway driving, with my 95 I4. How did you do on your last emissions check? How much time spent idling and/or crawling, with the ac on?

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Dirty injectors and a horribly dirty intake tract.

Go buy 4 cans of Seafoam. Pour a 1/3 of a can very slowly into your pcv hose going into your intake. Shut off the car for 5 min. Crank it back up and let it billow blue smoke.

Repeate until it doesn't smoke nearly as bad.

Pour 2 cans into your gas tank (best if you use it at a station, then fill with gas) If you want, you can pour a half can into your oil, and the other half into your transmission.

I would highly reccommend not driving more than 100 mikles before chaning the oil, and doing a full lfush on the transmission fluid.

That will clean the motor out great! The only problem is that assuming the motor is extreamly dirty, it'll foul your spark plugs, so I would either take them out and clean them (after you do 1 can through the PCV on the intake) Or buy new plugs.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i for 300 miles on my last full tank. pretty sad for a i4 with mainly highway drive and no idleing really. Not really a lead foot just tapping 70-80 when i have to pass up a truck or something. Ac is never on. just heater or the lowest or not even that.

Do those fuel injectors really work ? What do they really do? I've droped a bottle in the gas every 6k miles. My filter is pretty much clean. What is Seafoam?

·
Diablo
05 Altima SER+93 Cam
353 Posts
My Camry gets about 250-300 miles on a full tank in my Camry.. I do a lot of stop and go in my Camry since I live in Manhattan and theres a redlight literally every 7 seconds haha

·
Breakin' necks since '02!
2,330 Posts
karazy said:
I get atleast 400 miles, more if just highway driving, with my 95 I4. How did you do on your last emissions check? How much time spent idling and/or crawling, with the ac on?
Emission slip from my inspection in August in NY.
Emission Test Limits: HC 0.80 CO 15.00 NOx 2.00
Emission Test Results HC 0.13 CO 0.81 NOx 1.42

Maybe about 30 min a week the car is idling because I start it early before I go to work to warm up the inside and defrost the windows. 90% of my driving is just back and forth to work which is stop-n-go driving. The ac is basically never on anymore except for a few exceptions. My air filter is about a year old, but the car isn't driven that often at all so I doubt it's anywhere near dirty. I used to have somewhat of a lead foot but now I try not to let the car rev past 3500rpm at all times, but isn't always tha case.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It's this easy, folks, I don't believe our gen3 I4's are very good on gas. (By this, I mean their efficiency, while good, is over-rated) Whereas my old 87 got 30 mpg no matter how i drove the thing, my 95 gets 23-25... and I refill every 310 miles or so (about what I do per week), that point I'm down to 1/4 tank...

I shift between 3500 and 4k when the motor has warmed up, 3200 max when its cold... I rarely use more than 1/2 throttle. you need to rev it that high b/c we have narrow powerbands, torque doesnt even peak til almost 4.5k, and we gotta make use of them. City driving is different, but up here in more suburban areas you need to wind er out more.

My car is pretty solid for 159k on the clock, but I think I'm going to try to find one with less miles in the spring...

Steve

·
Registered
785 Posts
thats odd, i get close to 600 miles of my 96 camry on my long trips, but it vary's between 400-600 miles most of the time, and it only did that when i treated the car every 6 months with zmax.

·
Registered
785 Posts
BTW... dont buy gas at places like arco or you will get crappy gas mileage and your car will act like as if someone poored sugar water in the gas tank.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
MadDawg said:
thats odd, i get close to 600 miles of my 96 camry on my long trips, but it vary's between 400-600 miles most of the time, and it only did that when i treated the car every 6 months with zmax.
Sorry man, I don't believe that one. No way you can get 400 to 600 miles regularly. Well maybe 400 if you only drive on highways. You do live in Oregon so I guess there really isn't much around there. 600 miles would be insane to get on a regular basis in a Camry though. What you would be saying is that you could drive across the entire country on like just 5 tanks of gas.

·
Registered
785 Posts
ok, in a trip from southern oregon to portland oregon, its about 250mph, the avg speed was 70mph, with very little gear changes, the gas mileage was recorded at around 36-38mpg..... and you multiply that by how ever many gallons is in the gas tank, i cant remember what it was, so i'm guessing around 14 gallons... and that equals 504 - 532.... so i was kinda over exagerating the 600 mile part, but its close! its alot closer to 600 than everyone elses cars getting only 250 miles.

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
i get about 340-360 miles for a tank on average run.

·
Registered
403 Posts
500 Is impossible. The most I ever got with my 92 V6 is about 410. And thats hard to do. 500? No. Take some pics and I'll belive...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
todai i just done the fuel filter and clean the injectors i hope it works out. thx guys for the tipz

·
Big Wrench
397 Posts
Possible?

Well a little research never hurt.

1996 Camry Spec's (courtesy of Epinions)

I4 2.2 liter 125 HP Standard 23/31 mpg
I4 2.2 liter 125 HP Automatic 21/27 mpg
V6 3.0 liter 188 HP Automatic 20/29 mpg

The fuel tank capacity is listed as 18.5 gallons, is that correct?

If it is, a 1996 Camry has the fuel capacity to go any where from 499.5 to 573.5 miles.

Of course that's assuming your car is still in perfect running order, you're not climbing any kind of grade, your A/C is off with the windows up, you're not carrying any load and you run your tank dry. :rolleyes:

But a strong tail wind or running behind an 18 wheeler and anythings possible.:D

I know one thing from experience. I used to drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles every weekend. The difference between 80 mph and 65 mph is about 150 miles per tank full on my full sized extended cab GMC Sierra Truck. Probably not as big a difference on a Camry but I'll bet it's a noticeable amount.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts