Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this video to be very interesting:

Can anyone tell me what fuses I would check in the diagrams below to try to solve my not having air-conditioning and heat:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Continuing with the search for the fuses that control the heater and AC. (By the way, I've checked my owner's manual for an explanation of the various fuses. I did not find it helpful.)

Making some progress. Just found this video which was quite helpful. At minute 4:48 I was able to stop the video and compare the screen with a photo of my fuse box. My fuses matched the ones in the video. This was a big leap forward for me:

I then found this video which educated me on what's called the Magnetic Clutch Relay:

Another good video I just found:

The effort continues... :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Someone at a Toyota parts store told me today that Camrys that came out after 2011 do not have Magnetic Clutch Relays. If true, this is interesting. Could explain why it's been tricky trying to locate it. :)

According to my research, this fuse box has 3 fuses that deal with the AC. I'm hoping one of them is blown.

The first fuse box is too tricky for me. It supposedly has one fuse (50 amps) that deals with the "HTR," which I assume is the heater (it's fuse #4 in the diagram and in the circuit column it's listed as "Air-conditioning system"). But I found it hard to determine which one it is. So in the meantime, I'm tackling the second fuse box.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Finally located the second fuse box. It's on the driver's side, not too far from the latch that opens the hood. Now gotta figure how to take out the cover without breaking it. :)

Found this great link:

This one is also helpful for it shows you how to open the fuse boxes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a heads-up: I've made a number of edits to previous posts as I've continued to find different pieces of the puzzle. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked all AC related fuses in the inside fuse box. Amazingly, they are all fine.

The only fuse I've not checked is the fuse link in the fuse box that's under the hood. I now know which one it is. It does not look like a regular fuse. It looks more like the edge of a CD cover. And you cannot just pop it out and check, like the regular fuses. It's more involved because it's bolted in, I'm told. Also, isn't there the possibility that after this fuse link is checked, it too might be fine?

So it looks like my quest to do this job on my own has come to an unsuccessful end. I have to take my car to a mechanic in order to find out what is wrong with my AC. :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I took my car to a mechanic who is very experienced. After checking the fuses in both boxes and the AC motor's diagram, he said it's best to take the car to a Toyota dealership. He said that he's stopped doing electrical work because it often turns out to be very time consuming. And he ends up not charging customers for the full amount of time because the bills would be too high.

I had taken my car to a second Toyota dealership on Saturday, just to see if I could get a better idea of what it might cost. They said if they have to put in a new fuse link, the labor cost alone would probably be around $437.00. They charge $125.00 per hour. But they would of course know for sure once they actually get to work on the car. The other Toyota dealership, that I had checked earlier, said they would charge $130 if it was a simple fuse. But it would be more if it was a bolted fuse (like a fuse link). The two dealership will probably end up charging the same amount. But the one I visited on Saturday claimed that it would not exceed $500.00.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dropped off my car at a Toyota dealership on Tuesday. But they did not get to the car till today.

They say that when I got a jump and did not do it properly I blew the fuse link and AC blower.

So they installed a new blower and fuse link. But when they started the car the new fuse link got blown. They think that when I got a bad jump the throttle body was damaged so it sent a high voltage through.

So they have to replace the throttle body and fuse link again.

I cannot get my car today because they don't have a new fuse link in the dealership. But they can have one by tomorrow morning. They say I should be able to get my car back tomorrow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my beloved Camry back today from the dealership. It's really nice to have cold AC again, despite the larger than normal bill. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts