Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about a fuse that keeps blowing.

I just got my 02 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 back from two items that were on a recall. I believe it was a fuel line and a cv joint that needed to be replaced. I did notice the new cv joint because I changed my oil recently, and it stood out among all the other dirty items underneath the truck.

Anyway, I got Sirius for Christmas, and installed it. However, none of the installation required touching anything electrical. However, around this time, my radio fuse kept blowing out. It's a 15A fuse, and I didn't think anything of it, so I just went out and bought a new pack of fuses, and stuck it in there, and I was on my way.

Then it blew again. At first I thought the Sirius was drawing too much ower from the cigarette lighter AC line I had plugged into one of my two extras in my truck. Thinking the Sirius might be the problem, I unplugged it and left it out, and drove my truck for a few more days without using it; I just used my tape adapter that I have plugged into my iPod, as I use that for listening to my class lectures that I create as MP3 files, on the way to work (does wonders on saving me time in class).

Anyway, the fuse ended up blowing for a third time. Same fuse, same amount of time (about after a day). I don't drive my truck but maybe 34 miles round trip, and once I get home, I spend time helping my kids with their homework, do my homework, and its off to bed I go.

Anyway, the fuses keep blowing, and I don't have anything plugged in now, so nothing out of the ordinary is drawing power from that fuse except the stock equipment that it was designed to run.

I started wondering if maybe something happened when I had my truck at the dealership to have the recall work done, like maybe they have to move some of the electrical equpment out of the way to install the fuel line, and something didn't get put back properly.

I also noticed that everytime I get out of my truck, I get a shock, so I know something's not grounded right, and this just started happening.

I thought I would check with those of you who may have a similar incident, or knew someone who did, or just flat out may know what kind of problem I may be having.

I hope I supplied enough information, and I apologize for the long-winded post. Just trying to be chatty, I guess.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to what you think the problem may be, I would be greatful. Right now, I'm thinking something didn't get reconnected right, or all the way when the dealership worked on my truck, but since I am not an expert in this area, I have no way of knowing, and if I take the truck into the shop, I fear that I will be facing some steep and unnecessary charges if it's related to something they may have done.

I just don't see this happening out of the blue without some kind of logical explanation, and I'm lost as far as what it could be, but am willing to fix it myself if I can get some help finding the root of the problem. I don't want the dealership to think I am pointing fingers if they had nothing to do with this, but then again, that's all I can think of.

Thanks in advance,,
Mike
Anaheim, CA

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
Sounds like you have an intermittent short. The only way to find it is to dig in.

·
Official TN User
96 Taco 4x4 Ext cab
92 Posts
I get shocked EVERY time I get out of the truck, well acutally only when I wear my New Balance Tennis shoes. Kinda funny, I don't normally swear but can't help but yell SH... every time it happens, It maybe a static build up from my steering wheel cover passing through my hands. When I wear my work boots I'm fine.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
A charge is building up in the car, the tires do not have good electrical conductivity (normal). Install a grounding strap or when getting out, touch the back of your hand or the key to the door.

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
don't know about the shocks, I only ever got shocked from those darn plugs and wires, any way in Europe the sell a ground strap that drags along the ground and release the static electricity.
I would go badk to the dealership and ask about the blowing fuse, Personally I think the shocking and fuse blowing are related.

Lance

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
I am not so sure the shocking and fuse are related. I get zaped by static when I get out of my truck, and my electrical is fine. Your truck is not an old British car. The way the battery system is set up it will not zap you when it is shorted.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
The static shock isn't related to the fuse. I get shocked a lot getting out of cars.

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
yea yea yea ok so your probably right, just something to think about that it did not start shocking him untill the fuse started blowing. I have been in many military vehicles that if not proberly grounded will nock you on your buttocks but yes I know this is not a military vehicle. any way the grond stap that touches the ground keeps you from getting shocked.
Watch I start getting shocked now??

Lance

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
lancekilgore said:
yea yea yea ok so your probably right, just something to think about that it did not start shocking him untill the fuse started blowing. I have been in many military vehicles that if not proberly grounded will nock you on your buttocks but yes I know this is not a military vehicle. any way the grond stap that touches the ground keeps you from getting shocked.
Watch I start getting shocked now??

Lance
That is because they are 24V systems. The cross over cable between the batteries shorts out all the damn time. Nothing like going down the road and getting that nice smell of burning popcorn.

·
Joe
2005 Hilux Tray Top
270 Posts
anti static

The shocking you are getting isn't related to the fuse blowing it is just static build up an Anti-static strap is the usual fix they are readily available at auto stores here in Aust. As for the fuse blowing try and take note when the fuse blows eg. what you switch on, turning corners etc. when you were in the radio area are all the looms you can see free and not crushed or tight on any sharp edges .
Good Luck
Joe

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
A 12V DC system isn't enough to shock you so like others said, it's probably just static.
As for the fuse blowing, check out everything else that's on that fuse. My power outlets are also on that fuse. I had that same fuse blowing trouble a while ago with a bad cell phone charger that I had plugged in. Maybe the power supply for the sirius is bad. My guess is that the insulation or connection somewhere in the wiring for the stereo has been compromised and you're just going to have to find the problem. Try feeling for warm wires or try wiggling wires around in the dark and look for tiny sparks or wait for the fuse to blow. that should help you locate the problem. Good luck.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
trd04taco said:
A 12V DC system isn't enough to shock you so like others said
There is plenty in the system to give you a shock. Anybody that has tried to remove an alternator, or ignition coil (back when cars had those) without unhooking the battery can tell you that. It is the way the power flows that prevents you from getting shocked. If you ever drive an old British car, such as a Triumph or MG, with a positive ground rather than a negative you will get a nasty shock when you have a short.

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
TcmaBoy said:
There is plenty in the system to give you a shock.
Okay, what I really meant is in most cases (excluding anything with a transformer or capacitor) you won't get seriously shocked with a modern 12V system. I should have worded it more carefully saying that just touching a small positive wire while grounded won't hurt you in most cases. Now if you're got a good connection to your body and the current goes through your heart and it's high amperage, that's a different story as high amperage DC current can be very dangerous in some situations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't been able to log in since I last posted, so I am going to read the posts, but before I do, I wanted to thank all of you who took the time to post. I really appreciate it.

I'm going on my 8th fuse replacement, and it's getting old, but I haven't been able to get into troubleshooting this because of work, and a bad back that has been really killing me lately. That and school has me runnin' like crazy.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you guys thank you for the posts, and I will use every bit of advice in here to find out what the issue is, and post back once I am able to resolve the issue.

Thank you!
vje

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Short

TcmaBoy said:
Sounds like you have an intermittent short. The only way to find it is to dig in.
Yeah, I figured it had something to do with that. Everytime I get out of my truck I get shocked, and I have been getting into the habit of making sure I get the "shock" before I fill up.

I just hope I can find it, and when I do, determine whether or not this had anything to do with the recent dealer recall work i had done. Probably not, but I haven't made any changes to anything lately, so I can't think of what it might be.

Well, thanks for the post, much appreciated.

vje

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, that's what I do normally. However, the fuse always blows after about 10-15 minutes of having the car on, and radio/tape adapter on while running my iPod.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually had that happen to me with a Geo Storm we had. I was changing the plugs and wires on it, and there was a wear on one of the wires. I was just checking the wires while the engine was running, making sure they were all in tight, and wham! I strong jolt of electricity went through my entire body. I'm lucky there was no exit wound, but the shock was so strong I felt it jolt through my chest, and it scared the livin' jeebes out of me.

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
Well at least the fuse is doing it's job and saving your wiring from burning up. Take it to a shop or an electrical shop.
Good luck

Lance

1 - 19 of 19 Posts