Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 5-speed sr5. I am looking into doing an engine swap from the stock 4af to the 4age. Is it possible to convert the drive train to rear wheel drive from the stock front wheel drive? If it is possible, would it require me to convert the rear brakes from drum to disk?

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,720 Posts
Anything is possible these days. Being that the ae86 is red and the ae92 is not, a custom made drive shaft will be needed since the ae92 is longer. AE92 may need a retrofitted tunnel for the drive shaft.

Gotta get your plumb Bob and measuring tape out. Better still, get a ae86 parts car to do the conversion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't even thought about the difference in their lengths. I thought that the tunnel where the driveshaft is on the ae86 is used for the exhaust on the ae92 to give it additional ground clearance, is that just completely wrong?

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,720 Posts
You have the exhaust and the drive shaft. I've not seen the underside of an 86 to confirm, but it's there.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I hadn't even thought about the difference in their lengths. I thought that the tunnel where the driveshaft is on the ae86 is used for the exhaust on the ae92 to give it additional ground clearance, is that just completely wrong?
u can convert it to rwd in theory, u need to flip the engine so the trans and drive shaft can be pointing to ur back wheels, switching the engine position = new mounting points for new engine mounts, these you are going to have to make them. i think u can use the engine mounts from the ae86 as mock up since the 86 eninge bay and the ae92 coupe engine bay layout are similar.still need to modify them some i believe. now u have to find a new trans to fit the rwd configure, i guess u can use the ae86 trans ( t50 i think). but i think the c52 trans in the ae92 is a better trans than the t50.

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
3,376 Posts
The tunnel or huimp in the AE92 isn't very deep or tall (into the car), as it's mostly used for the exhaust. You might want to look at how some street rods are done on the tunnel and floor pan, as that might be the easiest way to go about it.

I'm not sure what trans (or it's length) you might be able to use. Might be worth doing a search for a Toyota Corolla rally car, as they've been building them for years, although they are 4WD. Don't know if it would be easier to start with either a 4wd wagon as a base parts car, or just something already rwd (maybe an older Toyota).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts