Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters Gen 4 , the gas door stopped opening with the latch inside the car, she opens it with a credit card now! I'd like to fix this for her, any help would be appreciated.....thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think there's a little spring that commonly goes on the door mech. Go to the dealer for the spring.
When I was buying my '97 it was broke and they fixed it.
I don't know how it's installed...I've never looked.

·
Road Trippin'
63 Posts
On my 98 Camry (Gen4), there's a bent piece of metal (the 'spring') attached to the fuel door close to the hinges. I've had to bend mine back out a few times over the years, but it still works just fine.

If the problem you're having is that the cable to the latch is loose, that should be pretty easy to tighten.

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On further inspection, I found that the spring is broken off the gas door, (plastic) I found a large stainless steel paper clip not sure whats it called not like a regular clip, anyway, I cut a 2" piece of it and bent it like an "A" I then forced one side of the clip inbetween the remaining plastic on the gas door, and the gas door itself, vertically, which created a spring, sucker works good now, pops right open when the latch is pulled. Daughters happy now!! Thanks, Fever and Riggs for the heads up on the spring thang. total cost of repair Zero, and no visit to the rip off stealership!!!!!:lol: :lol:

·
Road Trippin'
63 Posts
Hey, it's the best kind of repair - good and cheap!
:chug:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I hate to bring back an old thread, but this one contained some good info. I'm currently having the same problem, does anyone have a pic of what the gas door looks like when it's open? I'm especially interested in the hinge and seeing how I can defeat it with a credit card...

Thanks!

DJ

P.S. I'm on Empty, and now I can't get my stupid gas cap door to open - what a day!

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its easy to open with a credit, just insert it in the right middle kinda bend it back like pry it open.........the plastic spring is broken off. its in the middle left of the door (or was) If my daugher comes by I'll try to get you a pic of how I fixed hers!

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Goober read my post above on my fix.......ya just need it to spring open...I did it with a large document clip

·
Registered
71 Posts
WHat a beautiful Thread (and thank you SEARCH!!!). My girlfiiends Camry has the same issue (97). Gonna try to fix with what I read. Thanks!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts