Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2007 Prius for about 6 weeks. Several times (probably about 10) while stopped at a traffic light, the gas engine will start cycling on and off every 1 to 2 seconds (The engine will run for about 1.5 seconds, then shut off for about 1.5 seconds and so on). This will continue until the end of the traffic light and the gas pedal is pressed. I took it to the dealer and they said the car checked normal. This does not seem normal, and if it is, it seems like poor design. Does anyone know if this is normal?

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
It's normal. The reason is that it's just at that stage between fully warmed and cold (ok.. I guess the better term is luke warm haha). I can probably guess that you had the heater running? Try this next time. When it cycles, turn off the climate system. (You can press AUTO A/C on the steering wheel to toggle on/off). The engine should stay off. When you turn the climate control back on, the engine will come on (kinda cool to fool people that you can control the engine via the steering wheel haha).

·
Registered
810 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
It's normal. The reason is that it's just at that stage between fully warmed and cold (ok.. I guess the better term is luke warm haha). I can probably guess that you had the heater running? Try this next time. When it cycles, turn off the climate system. (You can press AUTO A/C on the steering wheel to toggle on/off). The engine should stay off. When you turn the climate control back on, the engine will come on (kinda cool to fool people that you can control the engine via the steering wheel haha).[/quote

the prius has an electric a/c compression dont they??

engine only comes on when it needs to charge the battery or give you more power

·
The Regenerator
2018 Prius Two-Eco
599 Posts
wonger said:
Tideland Prius said:
It's normal. The reason is that it's just at that stage between fully warmed and cold (ok.. I guess the better term is luke warm haha). I can probably guess that you had the heater running? Try this next time. When it cycles, turn off the climate system. (You can press AUTO A/C on the steering wheel to toggle on/off). The engine should stay off. When you turn the climate control back on, the engine will come on (kinda cool to fool people that you can control the engine via the steering wheel haha).[/quote

the prius has an electric a/c compression dont they??

engine only comes on when it needs to charge the battery or give you more power
Yes, that's true, but it still requires hot coolant for the heater function if you're trying to heat the interior.

An often-confused behavior is that once the battery drops down to 40% SOC, the ICE will kick on and run until it gets back to nearly 50% SOC. How long this takes depends upon the conditions. I've got CAN-View installed, so I can track these numbers and behaviors with some precision. You see this sort of cycling if you're stuck in a drive-through line for a long time, or grid-locked traffic. And the on-off interval will be longer than that described by the OP, whose car is trying to supply hot coolant to the heater.

·
Registered
381 Posts
wonger said:
Yes, that's true, but it still requires hot coolant for the heater function if you're trying to heat the interior.

An often-confused behavior is that once the battery drops down to 40% SOC, the ICE will kick on and run until it gets back to nearly 50% SOC. How long this takes depends upon the conditions. I've got CAN-View installed, so I can track these numbers and behaviors with some precision. You see this sort of cycling if you're stuck in a drive-through line for a long time, or grid-locked traffic. And the on-off interval will be longer than that described by the OP, whose car is trying to supply hot coolant to the heater.

What's CAN-view??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts