Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a gas leak the other week. There's a drip every minute or so.

I took some pictures of it....the leak is on the rear driver's side behind the tire.
It seems like it's coming from above as there's no hole in the lines and the clamps seem tight.

There was some white residue on one of the lines...is this a case of needing a new gas tank or some fuel lines? Any help would be appreciated.

IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karl_adamczyk/gasleak1.jpg[/IMG]

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karl_adamczyk/gasleak2.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karl_adamczyk/gasleak1.jpg

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Fuel Filler Neck. Where you put the gas in. It's common to rust out on the Camrys, especially since you are int he Salt Belt. Gotta love Winter int he North, lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuel filler neck

Do you have to take out the gas tank to change the neck? Is this something I can do or should I take it to my mechanic.

ASG14 said:
Fuel Filler Neck. Where you put the gas in. It's common to rust out on the

Camrys, especially since you are int he Salt Belt. Gotta love Winter int he North, lol.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
I've never done it, but you do not need to take the tank out. There was actually a large discussion on this recently.

I WOULD have your mechanic at least take a look to confirm that is the issue. But considering the leak, as you statre, "is from above", thats all that makes sense.

I have never changed this item myself though, so I can't tell yuo how hard it is. Someone is likely to post up here soon who's done it before. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The leak happens even if I'm at half a tank...recently I've been pumping as much gas as I could fit into the tank...would this have triggered anything? Or is it more likely that the salty roads caused the fuel filler to corrode?

ASG14 said:
I've never done it, but you do not need to take the tank out. There was actually a large discussion on this recently.

I WOULD have your mechanic at least take a look to confirm that is the issue. But considering the leak, as you statre, "is from above", thats all that makes sense.

I have never changed this item myself though, so I can't tell yuo how hard it is. Someone is likely to post up here soon who's done it before. :)

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
The salty roads, since the filler neck is part steel. I've seen ones at the local junkyard rusted to hell, and stuck my finger through one, lol. It will prolly leak most WHEN filling the tank. But thats just becayse the gas would be going over the leakey area.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
^ Ok, I did not see that pic, only the one that shows, haha.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
alotawatts said:
Maybe I'm missing something but judging by the looks of these fuel lines
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/karl_adamczyk/gasleak1.jpg

they should all be R&R'd.
Looks like a time bomb.

they look pretty okay to me.....the surface rust is expected....but the only way to really tell is by seeing how much rust actually flakes off....

but when there's salt to deal with, what you see is actually pretty normal

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
First, determine for sure exactly where the leak is coming from. If its from any metal part of the tank, change tank. DONT try to weld the tank, solder it, patch it, or fool with it in any other way, just change it! Why, cause no patch ever works - and welding would cost you as much as another used tank, that is if you could get someone to do it for you. It is DANGEROUs to weld on a gas tank (usually they would fill them with water or exhaust fumes first) but why would you weld a rusty tank, since it will just rust through again elsewhere!

If it is not leaking from the tank itself but is just coming from the rubber lines or because of a rusty hose clamp, drive it til its as empty as possible, drop the tank, and change all these rubber lines and clamps.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with a soft line + a proper fuel line clamp on to a hard line as long as the soft line is a proper fuel hose

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it's all fixed

Thanks for all your help guys, the problem ended up being some line connected underneath the passenger seats...there's two lines come from the gas tank and can be accessed by removing the backseat. It was an easy fix, just needed new fuel injection rubber hose.

Hopefully the salt doesn't kill anything else this winter :)

Karl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts