Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys good to be back on TN.com

About 3 Months ago (I think) I was driving to school with Thirsty and the casual engine knocking was occuring as when I purchased it after New Years Day. Well I was parking my truck on the school lot when I noticed the knocking was about 60% louder. Dad and I spent days and weeks etc pulling the motor out and disassembling it to the core. Turns out the Connecting rod bearing on the crankshaft Journal had slowly shaved/worn down to nothing. I researched high and low for a new engine, until my good old mechanic Jerry found one with 90,000 miles. The engine had no internal discoloring (suppose it was run with synthetic oil) and I couldn't wait to drop her in. We dropped in the $500 complete motor into the compartment, and eventually finished.

The truck came to life with no knocking(thank goodness) and was ready to be driven. I had filled the truck with all synthetic fluids, and poured the mixture of coolant and water etc etc etc.

I took Thirsty on the road and went to school with her last wednesday. She ran a little uneasy until I realized that the trans needs more than 6 quarts of new trans fluid (she was slipping). Got that slip out of the way by filling it up some more. NOW I think my worries are GONE and Thirsty was going to have no worries.

BUT, when I went to grab some steering fluid at the store, I SMELLED GAS!

Hmmm.....

The Gas was dripping onto the concrete every other second. I cut the motor, and noticed after 5 minutes, the gas leak stopped. Once I turned the motor over, the gas LEAKED again! :)headbang: $#!T!!!!)

So now I have the rear end lifted off the ground on jacks ready to inspect the leak.

I am still learning how to fix my first truck!
Question being... How do I drop the gas tank and what am I looking to remove?
I removed the filler neck's 3 bolts behind the fuel door cover and sipphoned the fuel out of the tank.
"THE LEAK IS COMMING FROM THE TOP OF THE TANK OUT OF MY VIEW"
The fuel only leaks when the truck is running or when I crank on it. I have a fram fuel kit filter (Clear plastic) because the true filter snapped off because the fuel line is weak and rusty (OH WISCONSIN! "SIGH!") from the salt and such on the road. But before this engine, the FUEL DID NOT LEAK. However the truck did sit for a few months.

My best friend Steve said the fuel sending unit or pump may be leaking(a seal or something near or on it may be leaking)

If you have a link to dropping the fuel tank on my 1995 SR5 4x4 3.4L or something similar could you post it please?
Do you have any steps to removing it?
If you need pictures of my tank (or whatever) leaking let me know.

Thanks

Ben

·
OLD SCHOOL
2003 Tacoma pre-run
668 Posts
Remove the tank strap bolts
remove the skid plate for tank if ya have one and the 2 straps should be obvious. Use a jack with a board so you dont make more holes or if you have an atv jack like I did even better. Lower it a foot and look for the hoses and wires. should be 2 vent hoses 1 for vent and 1 for charcoal canister. 1 return line and one fuel line. and the fuel pump plug in and sending unit is usually one plug.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If my truck has a quarter million miles on it, should I replace the fuel pump? And if I do does anyone know a good brand? I get of at 6 at work tonight, I will go home and drop my tank tonight. Nice knowing you all (just in case is get blown up) XD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.