Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dash computer said I got 19.5 today on a 180mile drive to Phoenix and back. Truck has about 2300miles on it, 5.7L DC SB 4WD. I am enjoying it as much as my 01 Tundra, it pulls my camper easy too.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds really good for a large V8. Now, I just have to go get one; but my wife would kill me! Ouch! :D

I've got a Tacoma, so that will just have to work for now.:)

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Rated 16/20. Getting 16/19-21. Premium fuel ended up getting me about 1/2 mpg better in the city over 2 tanks. I think that's a fluke, though.

·
Performance Downgrade
228 Posts
gas mileage, larger tires

Hey all, here's a little discovery i had regarding the Gas Mileage/Larger tire size Enigma (most of you probably already know this...but here it is anyway)

you're mileage calcs are probably wrong!!!

Based on my odometer...
When i use my 33's...i get around 15mpg
when i use my 31's...i get 16.85 mpg
when i use my 29's...i get around 19 mpg

But...
when i use my 31's, and rely on actual distance calculators and not my odometer...i get almost 20mpg.

this test was done on my daily hwy drive from greenfield MA to chicopee and back. I have been doing this drive for 7 years in various vehicles... and know that the distance is just under 40 miles (38.4 based on MSN maps and directions distance calculator).

In one round trip, my odometer showed 67 miles (33.5 each way)....but the map showed 76.8 miles. 76.8 / 67 = 1.1462 * 220 miles (shown on odometer after 13.05 gallons) = 252.18 miles/13.05 gallons. = 19.32 mpg. with 31" tires.

And considering that i have a turbo timer that lets my car idle for an average of 5 minutes after each drive (to cool the turbo oil down)....my mpg is most likely over 19.5 without the turbo timer.

Huge difference from the odometer. So, to take it a step further, i bought my truck with 234K miles on it. it had been driven for 20K prior with 33" tires...and 30K before that with 31's....

estimates:
33" @ 20K would really equal 23,333 miles
31" @ 30K would really equal 34,718 miles
total = 58,051 miles instead of 50,000 miles.

So my real odometer reading was probably in the area of 242,051 when i bought it.

yeah...i'm neurotic...also an accountant, so this stuff fills my brain all the time anyway.

Moral of the thread...just because your odometer is telling you your mileage sucks...it is most likely lying to you (unless you're running stock tires...in which case your mileage does in fact suck).

~Shogun

·
Registered
324 Posts
Have a 4.7 which I mistakenly thought was going to save me some money. I'm getting about 15 to 16 mpg with mixed driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
what can i do?

Just bought a 07 Tundra yesterday I knew what i was getting myself into as far as gas. Can you add any computer chips for better mileage? or are you pretty much stuck with what you got for mpg?

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
longhorn71 said:
Just bought a 07 Tundra yesterday I knew what i was getting myself into as far as gas. Can you add any computer chips for better mileage? or are you pretty much stuck with what you got for mpg?
I think people are still working (at least I hope) on a power programmer or a chip. I'm going to be all over one as soon as I find out about it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 5.7, 4x2 Crewmax has 4,000 miles on the odometer and has averaged 18.7 miles overall with mixed driving. I get 16 in the city, and as high as 20 on the highway. For what its worth, my old 2000 Tundra 4x2 Access Cab with the 4.7 averaged 17mpg. I use 87 octane all of the time. :D

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
City. You can tell during break in I was somewhat easy on it. Unfortanutely, everytime I've hit the highway, there is always city driving that brings down the average, but according to my trip computer, I have been averaging the 19-21mpg when on the highway. City just kills it. You can see the points where the highway driving has been done before city driving interfered; those areas have slightly higher peaks on the graph (3 of them).

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Also, my cents per mile:
. This doesn't include my oil changes and all that crap, but I am averaging 21.3 cents per mile with 2 oil changes at $37.25 and $39.56 each (before I bought bulk 5W20 Mobil1 and 2 filters at $5.41ea)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
21 Participants
jocoyn
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing